Xantia 2 Radiator Fans and Aircon

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onthecut

Xantia 2 Radiator Fans and Aircon

Post by onthecut »

Just in case it's any help to anyone ----

Current Xantia I have (S2 Hdi) has never had working radiator fans. Never been much of an issue as it never seems to get hot enough for it to matter. I have looked at the other threads on the forum regarding non-working fans and have followed through the wiring diagram as far as I can make sense of them, but without result.

As we've had some properly warm days and the aircon has at best been lacklustre, decided to give it a top up. Suddenly, part way through adding gas --- hey presto, one of the radiator fans has come to life. I find that interesting because the aircon gas wasn't low enough to cause the compressor to cease, but clearly adding a little more has made some difference somewhere. So -- if you have none working fans and poor aircon, might be worth trying a regas for a double result.

Mike.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: Xantia 2 Radiator Fans and Aircon

Post by Clogzz »

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=31403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
onthecut

Post by onthecut »

Thanks for the link.

I think it must be a little different on the HDi, as altering the aircon status appeared to trigger the fan (one only, so may have duff second fan), rather than the other way round.

I do have the wiring diagram and key which I would happily upload, except I have no idea how to do so ! There are differences compared to the above link.

Mike.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If only one came on the the other is no good - either through supply or the motor itself. Surprised that you don't get flashing overtemp and STOP light with the AC on if the fans are not running. Reason the fan came on when you added gas is that it puts the fans on high when the high side pressure reaches a certain value - which it would have done when you added gas and there was no cooling. HDi normally only puts the fans on low at 100 and high at 110 - I've had mine on high once when I put the AC on on a hot day with engine already close to low speed temp, shortly followed by high speed - thought the car was going to take off!!
Richard W