Xantia 1.8 estate hydraulic leak!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myc5
My Cars:

Xantia 1.8 estate hydraulic leak!!!!!

Post by myc5 »

Hi My Xantia 1.8 estate 1.6v petrol year 2000 on an X plate has developed a hydraulic leak at the rear. I have put it on ramps and had a good look and can not see where the leak is coming from. The height corrector was changed about 6 months ago and some pipes were also replaced. I have checked all the connections and all are OK. I wipe clean all the pipes to see if I can see where the leak is coming from, but noting visable or obvious.
Are there pipes above the axel and if so are they a common place to leak from and if they do need replacing does the rear sub frame need dropping?
Thanks for your help and advice in advance.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia 1.8 estate hydraulic leak!!!!!

Post by citroenxm »

Hi, yes all the four pipes plus return go up and over the top of the subframe. They useaualy rot just above the frame, in a non viewable place.

As for subframe dropping yes and its NOT Hard at all to drop. You can drop it one side only perfectly well to get a the pipes along the top and examine them. The pipes useually corrode in the pipe clips.

To lower a rear subframe, suppert the car SECURELY under the are of the Cill LIP AND the rear passnger floor, forward of the actual jacking point, this is because the forward subframe bolt is up behind the jacking point.

Remove the rear wheel. Support the frame with a trolly jack under the suspension cylinder area on the frame, undo the front 18mm bolt, and the rear 16mm through the rubber mount, then lower the jack and the subframe will come down with it and reveal the pipes along the top..

BE SURE the car is WELL SUPPORTED.. but try and use both the Cill Lip AND Floor area to spread the cars weight across both areas...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

myc5

If you have a read of this thread you may find some information which could be helpful.

Bear in mind when reading the post that my vehicle is a 1994 1.9td SX, and the "rear plumbing diagram" is for this vehicle. Yours may have a different configuration.

While I never made a visual diagnosis of the leak, I eliminated the possibilities based on where the leak was pouring down the back of the subframe, and was left with brake pipe no9 or the metal return pipe from the height corrector. Replaced the no9 and the leak was gone.

If it turns out to be a front-back pipe, it is possible like I did to renew the failed section of pipe by using a "joiner" .

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

The rear pipeing neaver really changed through the years. The only differences were a switch to anti sink which only added more pipes ON the centre of the subframe area, and hydractive cars are slightly different ON the frame. The actual Front to Rear 4 pipes and return are ALL the same to the SAME places right through production (LX, SX VSX and Exclsuive cars. Not sure about Activas or V6's, but I beleve the V6's are the same too...)

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
myc5
My Cars:

Post by myc5 »

Hey, thanks guys for your kind responses. Could I ask ref dropping the rear sub frame, do i need to remove the exhaust, fuel tank etc as I had to when I had a similar problem with my XM estate? Thanks again. :)
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

No not at all. ONLY lower down ONE Side and thats the passenger side.. the exhaust will lower with it..

Do NOT remove all four bolts. Theres no need to go in the drivers side.. the fuel tank is well out the way.. also dont lower it too much remember the height selector rod is connected but does NOT need removing. Just lower it enough to see in and check the pipes clearly enough.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
myc5
My Cars:

Post by myc5 »

Thanks very much again.
The pipes in question are they break or suspension pipes and is the a diagram available showning where they go as I think I will replace all four pipes whilst under there!!!

I think I will buy replacement rear sub frame bolts as these look quite rusty.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Dig out the Plus Gas! It does very well in freeing up rusty bolts. ECP do it for £5.50 a can.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

myc5

I have pulled this out of the thread I linked to

The "four" pipes run from front to back. If you want to replace all four, without using joiners, then you will have to make the appropriate connections at the front of the car.

a 4.5mm brake supply pipe which splits off at a nearside k-connector to two "Curly" pipes to supply the brakes near and offside. (3.307M originates ABS block)
a 3.5mm return pipe from the height corrector
a 3.5mm suspension supply pipe to the anti-sink valve (3.690M originates..(see service citroen diag))
a 3.5mm pipe which I describe as Brake pipe no9 which terminates at a K-connector at the offside. (3.768 Metres pipe originates from connector at front bulkhead nearside) It appears on the braking system diagram on service citroen, but there was a bit of debate on the thread)

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That diagram really is a cracker. It carries enough information to make the viewer feel comfortable about the layout, without appearing overly technical.
myc5
My Cars:

Post by myc5 »

Wow!!! Thanks
myc5
My Cars:

Post by myc5 »

Just to say a big thank you to everyone who has helped me with their kind and informative advise. Total success after following your fantastic information and advise.