Gearbox Grumble? (4HP20)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: Gearbox Grumble? (4HP20)

Post by Ben82 »

Hi Mate,

I'll post a pic of the oil level plug once I get it up on the lift and find it :)

Hopefully I'll have the tool to remove it, as currently I don't know what it is. Drain plug needs an 8mm allen key, but you'll want it on a ratchet, I got this one from halfords when I was in the UK.
Only other tools I needed was a Philips head screwdriver (to undo the jubilee clip on the hose to the airbox), and my hose clip pliers (to get the plastic and metal bungs off the breather hole).

If you don't have the right thing for the drain key, I can bring it over in August.

As for the gearbox oil, go for the proper LT71141 stuff, and get 5 litres, just in case as you don't want to be stranded with it being short :) It seem opie do a 25% discount off everything around the end of the month, so might be worth waiting for that. I don't think at £9 per litre the comma stuff is worth the risk :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

hi mate, thanks for the offer on the socket, I've got a few kicking about so should be ok and also for the heads up on the 25% off deal, I'll keep an eye out.

Good luck with it and hope it all goes to plan :-)

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Stick with the correct oil, chances are the Comma oil is Dexron III grade which is a no-no in these boxes. Even opie's normal price is around £10 a litre for the one litre bottles, so for the sake of £1/litre difference in price its not worth the risk. With the end of month 25% discount (assuming they do it every month) its actually cheaper to get the right stuff! And yes, get 5 litres although you'll only need 4 if all goes well. (The service data is wrong when it says you drain 3 to 3.3 litres, its 4 litres) If you do another change next time you'll only need to buy 4 litres as you'll still have a spare litre left over. I like to always have one litre left over when the job is finished in case of mishap or spillage...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Thanks for the advice Mandrake, that makes alot of sense.
I've emailed Opie to ask if they do 5 litre cans but they do not. I've emailed them back asking for confirmation about the 25% off and plan on ordering 5 litres at the end of the month

Bandit :-)
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Who's up for a challenge? Spent at least half an hour on this..

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a 6mm allen key sized bolt... There's not enough room to fit my hand in by the exhaust... bearing in mind that when doing this the engine needs to be running ( I didn't whilst I was investigating ).
I can fit my 6mm allen socket on my smallest ratchet BUT the ratchet has only enough space to be turned about 1mm! I tried putting an angle thingy on the ratchet, but could not get it to go into the oil level bolt.

Any ideas?

Bandit - hopefully this helps you also with locating it :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Ben, I'm absolutely staggered that they've made it this difficult to measure the oil level on the C5, they really don't want anyone messing with the gearbox oil do they! #-o

No good suggestions unfortunately.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Have to say I'm tempted to take it and the lexia down to the indy and see what they say.

One thing I didn't try (not sure if I have one actually) is if I could use a screw driver handle instead of a ratchet with the angle adapter, that's about the only possibility of actually getting it on there and being able to get the bloody thing turning.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

What about an actual Allen key (instead of an allen key bit for a ratchet) with a really long shank ? You can get Allen keys in that size that have a 100mm or longer shank, and then slip a bit of tube over it for more leverage...something like this:

Or this:

Find one with the right depth to clear the housing next to the plug then you'll have a lot more room to swing it.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Good Ideas Simon.. something like this could be the good for the job maybe:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ball-End-Hexa ... 3f26573df4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will check around to see if I can get one over here.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You slip a ring spanner over the hex bit shank.

If it's really that inaccessible, replace the bolt for a regular headed item.
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Thanks for the photos Ben, I planned on putting car on ramps then identifying and loosening the relevant fasteners before rolling the car off the ramps, starting, draining and replacing the fluid. Has to be said that is a very tight squeeze for a socket. Hope the allen key idea works better along with the tip of replacing the allen headed bolt with a flat hexagonal one to make life easier next time.
Shame your not round the corner at the mo cos I'd give you a hand. I've got a big selection of allen keys etc we could try.

Good luck with it mate :-)

Bandit
Ben82

Re:

Post by Ben82 »

addo wrote:You slip a ring spanner over the hex bit shank.

If it's really that inaccessible, replace the bolt for a regular headed item.
Tried something similar with trying to use my long angled hose ring pliers to keep the hex bit in place whilst I took the ratchet off, but it didn't work... certainly not enough of the hex bit for the ring spanner to be far enough away from the other metal brackets there.
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi mate, Just to confirm the issue is that you can get you 6mm allen socket into the pley but cannot turn it because of the lack of clearance.

Ive been looking at those photos of your drain plug again and I think its possible to put lots of extension bars on the end of the socket to bring the actual wratchet a couple of feet further back above the exhaust and heatsink thus giving you the clearance required to turn the wrachet enough to remove the plug. Failing that there does appear to be enough clearance to get an allen key onto the plug.
Im at a wedding tomorrow thus forbidden on pain of death to get dirty in any way what so ever but I will have a look sunday and see if I can confirm either as a solution for you:)

Bandit :)
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Hi mate,
The drain plug is the one on the bottom and is fine to reach with the car on the ramps, or on the lift, no real issues there aside from being able to fit my large frame under the car on the highest suspension. I incorrectly thought the drain plug was also for checking the level as on the al4, evidently its not :)

The level plug is the one that is the challenge and is the one required for checking the fluid is at the correct level.

Sadly, I do not believe there is enough room above or behind the exhaust for extensions to get through, not that I currently have enough :)

I think given addo's and Simon's ideas, I have two options:
1) get an Allen key a similar size to how it is currently with the ratchet, which would give more room to rotate, or, hoping the angle for the ball end is sufficient for reaching the bolt and turning it.
2) get an Allen socket bit with a longer Allen shaft on it, and a shorter round shaft, this would allow me to get it on the bolt, I could then use the ratchet on "free spin" mode and use a spanner to turn the Allen key. So the ratchet is only used to hold the bit in place.

I imagine yours might be slightly easier due to your 2.2 hdi taking up a bit less space.

I drive past the Citroen dealer today, was very much tempted to walk in and ask what tool they use for the job, didnt in the end though.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Engine looks excessively close to that part of the subframe. Is a mount collapsing?

It's definitely hoist territory, as refitting the plug with motor running will be a whole lot of fun.