Xantia front subframe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Xantia front subframe

Post by Dommo »

Hi all

I'm looking to lower down a subframe in the coming future to gain access to some VERY crusty pipes which have burst and fired waxoyl (ahem.. LHM rather) all within my old 2.1TD's wheelarch. I had a replacement pipe was ready to fit it and it decided to only undo at one end. At the other end is the safety pressure switch which has 4 (thanks citroenxm) very crusty pipes on, and to get them off I'm going to have to lower the subframe and see what reveals itself, essentially.

My question is really, what do I have to be mindful off when lowering the subframe?

I saw this post from citroenxm a couple of years ago:

Dropping subframes off complete are rather simple, and if you drop both front and rears in the cars position, PLUS the pipe work under the car along the floor everything can be left in place on them.... remember to release the height controller lever rods from the height correctors...

However I only want to lower the front subframe, so which pipes and what other things do we need to be careful of?

Thanks
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia front subframe

Post by citroenxm »

Hi Dommo,

A front subframe IS a little more tricky to lower... Theres a lot more going on. You have the steering rack attaching it to the steering colum, then theres the rubber return pipes that come from the height corrector and PAS ram, the front subframe is more ridgid too, and so being that one side WILL NOT lower down on one side on its own...

Sorry thats not what you want to hear, but you may have better access by stripping the LHM tank from above etc..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

On the BX ones I replaced, the rack and much of the gubbins is bolted from underneath, and stays with the car, surprisingly little buggering about, if you are using kunifer pipes they are pretty flexible, do you know where your pipe begins and ends ?
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dommo

I recently had to replace a front-rear brake pipe.

It was very difficult tracing the pipe runs because the pipes ran over the top of the rear subframe. I spent couple of happy hours under the car drawing what I saw on bits of card and came up with this.
This is for the rear of a Xantia 1.9TD SX non hydractive

If you can do a similar thing for the front it does help

If you get/borrow the equipment to make a flare you can cut the pipe and install a joiner like this

Personally I would only consider dropping the sub frame to do a brake/suspension pipe as a very last resort.
It was quite straightforward getting the new pipe on at the rear even though it has to be routed over the top of the subframe.

this is the "on-car" flare tool

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey