VSX Suspension for Novices

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

VSX Suspension for Novices

Post by Old-Guy »

The VSX's suspension is still a bit of a mystery to me.
As I understand it:
  • In the VSX, the standard 6 sphere arrangement, which (I think) I understand thoroughly, is supplemented by two extra spheres, one in each (front and back) suspension circuit,

The four corner spheres (which have been replaced not that long ago) are harder than standard,

The supplementary spheres are normally in circuit,

There's a suspension ECU, that can lock out the supplementary spheres by means of an electrovalve in each circuit,

The ECU energises the electrovalves either when the console button is in 'Hard' mode or when the roll angle measured from a pair of sensors, one at each end of the front ARB, indicates that that the driver is pressing on.

For a 30sec after any door is opened.
Is this right, as far as it goes?

The suspension does some apparently strange things: When stationary, the front (only) sometimes goes to High/Intermediate (can't tell which) and stays there until the control lever is moved to Low and then back to Normal. I've thoroughly lubricated the whole height control linkage and done several rounds of Citaerobics to no avail - the front suspension goes up and down nice and smoothly.

Finally, I can't find the front supplementary sphere!

Advice please.
Last edited by Old-Guy on 23 Jun 2013, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: VSX supplementary sphere.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I am sure I have seen another sphere lurking under the bonnet near the accumulator on a VSX.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Old-Guy wrote:The VSX's suspension is still a bit of a mystery to me.
As I understand it:
  • In the VSX, the standard 6 sphere arrangement, which (I think) I understand thoroughly, is supplemented by two extra spheres, one in each (front and back) suspension circuit,

The four corner spheres (which have been replaced not that long ago) are harder than standard,
Correct. The main difference in the corner spheres from a standard model is the damping valves - the bypass hole is much smaller and the leaf valves are stronger as well. Together it makes the damping MUCH stiffer. The front suspension has 5 bar lower pressure but the rear is the same as standard, so the spring rate isn't much different.
The supplementary spheres are normally in circuit,

There's a suspension ECU, that can lock out the supplementary spheres by means of an electrovalve in each circuit,

The ECU energises the electrovalves either when the console button is in 'Hard' mode or when the roll angle measured from a pair of sensors, one at each end of the front ARB, indicates that that the driver is pressing on.

For a 30sec after any door is opened.
[/list]
Is this right, as far as it goes?
No not really. :)

The supplementary spheres (officially called "hydractive regulator sphere", or sometimes "centre sphere") are normally in circuit during driving yes, but the hard mode is actually the hydraulic/electrical default mode, so that's what you'd get if you unplugged the fuse to the Hydractive computer. It's only by keeping the electrovalves energised for the majority of the time that you're driving does it enable soft mode.

No power to the electrovalves puts the system in hard mode - not only is the additional sphere isolated, but the left and right sides are cut off from each other as well, which means oil can't flow from side to side which further reduces body roll.

With power to the electrovalves the additional sphere is connected to both sides through two damper valves. The sphere itself has no damper valve (its basically an accumulator sphere at a slightly different pressure) but the block that it screws into has two normal sphere like damper valves - the sphere connects to the junction of the two, and each damper valve goes off to one side of the suspension.

These damper valves are quite softly tuned compared to the ones in the corner spheres so in the soft mode you have much softer damping but you also have a softer springing rate as well because the extra gas volume switched into circuit changes the springing rate.

There's a bit more to it than that, for example large bumps are mostly absorbed by the corner spheres even in soft mode, while the additional sphere provides most of the soft/floaty ride quality and absorption of small bumps, which means that the rebound rate is actually dynamic depending on the intensity of the bump - the rebound from small undulations is gently damped (good ride quality) while the rebound from large undulations is heavily damped. (good body control)

As for when it switches between modes, no the computer does not measure actual body roll (not even on an Activa!) as there is only one roll bar sensor on the front roll bar. This so called "body movement sensor" is there to detect situations where the suspension might bottom out and instantly switch to the hard mode - for example if you're going fast and hit a sudden rise or drop the sensor will detect this and the suspension will switch hard for a couple of seconds to prevent bottoming the suspension and also control the rebound.

The body roll is estimated based on steering wheel angle, velocity and road speed, the faster you go the less you have to turn the steering wheel away from straight ahead before it switches to hard. It also monitors the movement of the accelerator pedal so when you stamp on the accelerator it switches to hard to limit rear suspension squat. Heavy braking also triggers hard mode by way of the road speed sensor measuring deceleration. On the Series 1 it also switched to hard with a brake pressure switch triggered by more than 30 bars in the front brakes, but that was removed in Series 2.

The "normal/sport" mode switch does not directly put the car in soft or hard mode, gentle straight ahead cruising will always been in soft, hard cornering etc will always be in hard, what the switch does is control how "sensitive" the system is. In normal mode you can turn the steering wheel a fair way before it will switch to hard, meaning you tend to stay in soft unless you drive quite aggressively, in sport mode relatively small steering wheel movements will trigger hard and thus sharpen the feel of the cornering and tend to keep you in hard mode a lot more often. Likewise with the throttle sensor, in hard mode almost any small quick movement of the throttle will trigger hard, while in normal mode you have to stomp on the pedal for it to switch. (Other than acceleration from a standstill, where it always switches to hard for 3 seconds)

It changes a few other thresholds and logic decisions as well that aren't too important.
The suspension does some apparently strange things: When stationary, the front (only) sometimes goes to High/Intermediate (can't tell which) and stays there until the control lever is moved to Low and then back to Normal. I've thoroughly lubricated the whole height control linkage and done several rounds of Citaerobics to no avail - the front suspension goes up and down nice and smoothly.
This won't be anything to do with the Hydractive system it'll be the height corrector linkage. I'd check to see if the manual override adjustment is correctly in the centre of the slot.
Finally, I can't find the front supplementary sphere!
It's on a bracket down at the bottom of the radiator on the battery side of the car. :) In front of the accumulator sphere roughly.

Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Guy, if you don't already have it, the Citroen Technical Guide contains an excellent chapter on how the Hydractive II system as fitted to your VSX works. It also tells you how the earlier XM Hydractive I system worked and how the Activa system works along with anti-sink and a whole host of other interesting stuff...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

And if you really want to understand at a nuts and bolts level how it works, there is always this:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... ive_II.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The overview in the first dozen or so pages is pretty good as well, albeit in humorous translated French. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Wow! What a tour de force

Simon, thank you so much for such a clear and comprehensive explanation of the basics of how the Hydractive II system works.

I really think this ought to be a sticky!

Jim, thank you. I had forgotten about the Citroen Technical Guide, I did read it a few years ago not long after we bought the green Xantia, but I largely ignored everything about the more advanced hydraulic systems as being irrelevant. Even so, without your pointer I wouldn't have known which version I should be reading up on.

I mistook the front 'centre' sphere etc. for the accumulator sphere in a rather more accessible place. For no sensible reason, I was expecting it to be behind/below the engine near the height control valve. #-o

My only excuse for asking stupid questions is that, for the first time in my life, I've been suffering badly from a pollen allergy (rape-seed) and while the prescribed antihystamines help, they make me (more than usually) stupid and clumsy.
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Mandrake wrote:
The overview in the first dozen or so pages is pretty good as well, albeit in humorous translated French. :)
On our, ultimately pretty disasterous French holiday, the Garmin Sat-Nav kept us both puzzled and amused by 'her' pronunciation of French road names: "Rudy Lee Clerk" Rue de Leclerc There are an awful lot of Rudys in France! Some of the names in Brittany were totally incomprehensible (Breton transliterated into written French but spoken with English pronunciation).

Switching the language to French, got us proper pronunciation but largely incomprehensible directions.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Old-Guy wrote: pronunciation of French road names: "Rudy Lee Clerk" Rue de Leclerc
That's hilarious Guy!!! Love it!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy

Re: VSX Suspension for Novices

Post by Old-Guy »

The memory is affected as well! :(

The 4 corner spheres were replaced 7 years and 25,000 miles ago, and the accumulator sphere 6 years and 20,000 miles ago, but the a/s and centre spheres don't ever seem to have been replaced. The suspension isn't as soft as I had expected. When the engine is running and the doors are closed, bouncing the corners feels much like a standard car - in hard mode, it's HARD. For the moment, I don't want to spend any more money on it than I can help, but the whole reason for buying a Xantia and particularly a VSX is the soft ride.

At the moment, I can't get my head around the hydraulic logic, and forgot to ask (bearing in mind it's an estate):
  • Will the normal sit-in test work for the A/S sphere?
    Should a corner bounce (in soft mode) even on the front feel really soft and floaty?
Once again, my thanks for your patience and help.

Guy
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

CitroJim wrote:
Old-Guy wrote: pronunciation of French road names: "Rudy Lee Clerk" Rue de Leclerc
That's hilarious Guy!!! Love it!!
Miss Garmin thought it was a good joke too, and childishly kept repeating it and various alternatives, until we got rather bored! At one point on the southern outskirts of Niort, she was having so much fun with French road names that she got completely distracted and sent us round in a complete circle. In fairness, this may have been down to a gap between two free maps.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Old-Guy wrote:
Will the normal sit-in test work for the A/S sphere?
No, only way to test the Anti-Sink sphere is to have it off and pressure test it... Or a quick test is to see if there is any rear braking available after the engine has been off long enough for the anti-sink valves to operate. The only source of rear brake pressure then is from the Anti-Sink sphere...

The normal sit in the boot test for the main accumulator works.

Old-Guy wrote: Should a corner bounce (in soft mode) even on the front feel really soft and floaty?
Yes, with good spheres both ends will feel very soft in soft mode. The front should eb a little firmer than the rear, which should be as soft as a cloud, but still rather soft..

Quite normal!
Old-Guy wrote: Once again, my thanks for your patience and help.
A pleasure Guy, it's what this forum is all about!
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Old-Guy wrote: At one point on the southern outskirts of Niort, she was having so much fun with French road names that she got completely distracted and sent us round in a complete circle.
:lol: :lol: That's even funnier Guy!
Jim

Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

It wasn't funny at the time (Monday post-lunch rush hour)!

We swore, ignored her, went straight on at the lights where she had sent us right, and then followed the signs for Bordeaux, but then missed the divided slip road for the A83 Autoroute, instead heading off down the (slow) old main road; cost us nearly an hour.

What I should have done was bought a new Sat Nav (on offer, not much more than the map upgrade that I didn't buy!)
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Old-Guy wrote:The memory is affected as well! :(

The 4 corner spheres were replaced 7 years and 25,000 miles ago, and the accumulator sphere 6 years and 20,000 miles ago, but the a/s and centre spheres don't ever seem to have been replaced. The suspension isn't as soft as I had expected. When the engine is running and the doors are closed, bouncing the corners feels much like a standard car - in hard mode, it's HARD. For the moment, I don't want to spend any more money on it than I can help, but the whole reason for buying a Xantia and particularly a VSX is the soft ride.

At the moment, I can't get my head around the hydraulic logic, and forgot to ask (bearing in mind it's an estate):
  • Will the normal sit-in test work for the A/S sphere?
    Should a corner bounce (in soft mode) even on the front feel really soft and floaty?
Once again, my thanks for your patience and help.

Guy
It should be hard in hard mode, but not bouncy. If it bounces then the corners definitely need changing. All my sphere's were replaced in 2010, and the front corners had already ruptured earlier this year, so less than 3 years! If you can afford to it is worth changing them for piece of mind, unless they are genuine citroen spheres in which case they're worth testing before changing.
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

The daft part about it is that the corner spheres are genuine Citroen but there's no bill for the 'centre' spheres or the a/s being changed. I think I'll check the parts numbers to see what is fitted where.