Xantia noisy dash

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gary.drb

Xantia noisy dash

Post by gary.drb »

Hi guys, Just obtained a P reg Xantia TD estate, 102,000 on the clock and really good condition. Only problem I seem to have is a noise coming from the dash. Sounds like one of those cheap 6v motors you used to buy from the model shop when you were a kid, but with the bearings gone. It appears to be originating from behind the grille where the alarm L.E.D. is. Am I correct in assuming that it is something to do with the climate control? If it is, what can I do about it? is it a plug-in component or hard wired. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia noisy dash

Post by Mandrake »

It's a tiny fan about 10mm across behind the vent next to the clock, its there to draw cabin air in past the air temperature sensor. If the fan stops working the climate control becomes slow and inaccurate at compensating for cabin temperature...

The first thing you can try is to give it a blast of air from one of those compressed air bottles, usually the fan is choked with dust, the compressed air will not only blow the dust off it but will give it a good fast spin as well, which can help clear any dust out of the bearing itself.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
gary.drb

Re: Xantia noisy dash

Post by gary.drb »

Thanks I'll give it a Try. I did have a look for it in the Haynes manual, but it doesn't even get a mention. If necessary, I take it I should be able to change it by removing the radio to give me some access?