C5 conundrum and long journey ahead.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

micky707
My Cars:

Re: C5 conundrum and long journey ahead.

Post by micky707 »

Why have you not changed the discs? they look pretty worn, could be warped very slightly as well especially if the brakes have been binding
Micky

Citroen C5 2.0 HDI VTR 138 48k
Citroen Xsara 1.6SX Brilliant car, 9 years and 119000 Miles
2 Pug 306's
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport
Citroen ZX 1.9D

If it aint broke.......
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Naaa....that's a sticking handbrake mechanical return in the caliper...had the same on my old C5....It WILL destroy your disks, it will destroy your pads, it will overheat BOTH as the brakes will stay on giving the smell. Given time it can also overheat both the brake fluid and the wheel bearings.

There is not anyway to repair this except new calipers. That said you can free them up temporally by taking the wheel off, un-clip the handbrake cable and gripping the leaver with mole-grips, them work it for 5-10 mins applying hot oil (NOT WD40, which will make it worse)....I did 3 months without a handbrake...funny how you get used to it :)

In a few cases it "could" be the cables BUT with what you are getting it looks like calipers

Citroen designed these without waterproof gaiters !...good Job Frenchie
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I'm currently experimenting with lubricating a sticky handbrake lever pivot with brake fluid - much better results so far than with any sort of oil.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Thanks. Did wonder. The garage checked this last time but as you say it the car was cold. There is an initial slack when pulling on handbrake. It's a big job to replace this isn't it?
C'est pas possible!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Stickyfinger wrote:Naaa....that's a sticking handbrake mechanical return in the caliper...had the same on my old C5....It WILL destroy your disks, it will destroy your pads, it will overheat BOTH as the brakes will stay on giving the smell. Given time it can also overheat both the brake fluid and the wheel bearings.

There is not anyway to repair this except new calipers. That said you can free them up temporally by taking the wheel off, un-clip the handbrake cable and gripping the leaver with mole-grips, them work it for 5-10 mins applying hot oil (NOT WD40, which will make it worse)....I did 3 months without a handbrake...funny how you get used to it :)

In a few cases it "could" be the cables BUT with what you are getting it looks like calipers

Citroen designed these without waterproof gaiters !...good Job Frenchie
If you do as you recommend but push the seal back and spray the shaft with 3 in 1 oil regularly there's no need to chuck the calliper away.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's a straightforward job to replace a caliper if necessary; the problem is finding a reliable second-hand replacement.
If you go looking for one, be aware that there are three different sizes, mostly depending on model, but not always consistently so.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

If you do as you recommend but push the seal back and spray the shaft with 3 in 1 oil regularly there's no need to chuck the caliper away.
Very true IF it is not already knackered.....do you think this will recover one that is already sticking ?
is there a seal on C5 calipers? on mine there is no seal or boot on the handbrake leaver/shaft that is accessible, it looks to be internal.

On my present car which has fully working calipers, I load the area with very thick grease and replace that every few months in an attempt to protect it. I have also sealed the HBrake cable with an concertina sheath to prevent water Ingres up the guide tubes...that cost a bit on the last one as well so prevention is better that ££'s spent
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

The garage replaced the caliper. They broke almost immediately so did another set under warranty.

Very annoying if it has gone again.

So I unclip the cable and work oil into the bit that it fitted into? Can you point it in the piccie?
C'est pas possible!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Stickyfinger wrote:
If you do as you recommend but push the seal back and spray the shaft with 3 in 1 oil regularly there's no need to chuck the caliper away.
Very true IF it is not already knackered.....do you think this will recover one that is already sticking ?
is there a seal on C5 calipers? on mine there is no seal or boot on the handbrake leaver/shaft that is accessible, it looks to be internal.

On my present car which has fully working calipers, I load the area with very thick grease and replace that every few months in an attempt to protect it. I have also sealed the HBrake cable with an concertina sheath to prevent water Ingres up the guide tubes...that cost a bit on the last one as well so prevention is better that ££'s spent
There's a seal of sorts pinched between the black lever in your pic and the calliper body, you can shift it aside with a blade and spray the shaft, takes a bit of effort moving the lever back and forth with mole grips as in your previous post but once freed off regular spraying will keep it free.

It looks to me that Boris has cable trouble, the only way to be sure is to disconnect them at the calliper and see if they can be pulled end to end
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

boristhespie wrote:The garage replaced the caliper. They broke almost immediately so did another set under warranty.

Very annoying if it has gone again.

So I unclip the cable and work oil into the bit that it fitted into? Can you point it in the piccie?
Not sure I understand your question.
As you can see in the photo, the "handbrake" is part of the caliper, the cables are inside guide tubes...so when you replace the caliper you also replace the handbrake mechanism at the same time.

IF the cable is sticking in the tubes, dependent on the level of corrosion you will need either cables OR both the cable and guide tubes replaced....which is what I had to do with mine....others here will be better qualified than I am to advise on that procedure and cost (cost me £240 4 years ago)
There's a seal of sorts pinched between the black lever in your pic and the calliper body, you can shift it aside with a blade and spray the shaft, takes a bit of effort moving the lever back and forth with mole grips as in your previous post but once freed off regular spraying will keep it free.
Ahhh...OK thanks. Can you take of the leaver arm , install an over-thick O ring, then reapply the leaver arm compressed to act as extra seal do you think ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I'm not convinced that it's always an external problem which makes the calipers stick. I've seen pictures of similar calipers with a rusty internal mechanism, and suspect that it's important to change the brake fluid regularly to prevent dissolved water causing this.

Boris - did the garage fit new or second hand calipers?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Ahhh...OK thanks. Can you take of the leaver arm , install an over-thick O ring, then reapply the leaver arm compressed to act as extra seal do you think ?
I doubt if the spring will be man enough to pull the lever back if you make the seal much thicker.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

dnsey wrote:I'm not convinced that it's always an external problem which makes the calipers stick. I've seen pictures of similar calipers with a rusty internal mechanism, and suspect that it's important to change the brake fluid regularly to prevent dissolved water causing this.

Boris - did the garage fit new or second hand calipers?

I've seen callipers rusted inside too but not often and usually on cars that have been waded in saltwater on the beach
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Looks like another expensive trip to a garage. Just at the end of the hols too.

Neverending.
C'est pas possible!
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Fife can be wet n' salty! :lol:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.