k & n replacement panel filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

taffy
My Cars:

k & n replacement panel filter

Post by taffy »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

after watching this i will be buying one!...less strain on the engine! =D>

lol gota get engine running first thou haha!
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: k & n replacement panel filter

Post by Chlorate »

Buyer beware, filters like that are less filters and more sieves - they'll stop the bigger bees from getting into your engine but not the fine gritty muck.
Car manufacturers these days are too hard pressed to achieve high efficiency to pull a schoolboy error like putting a restrictive air intake onto a car, and in a lot of cases the paper air filter supplied has more than enough area to supply all the air an engine needs. Provided it's clean of course!

The only benefit I can really see of a filter like that is that they're cleanable - over 3 or 4 air filter changes you'll save money with a K&N instead of the replaceable paper elements.

With regards to performance gains, it really depends on who you ask, some say it'll add a few HP, others (including myself) would say it would either be negligible or could well decrease performance. I would link Dave Baker's site puma racing here...but alas it no longer exists...
They do however make the car noisier, and thus adding an offset to the trouser dynamometer.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
evoke

Post by evoke »

Worth reading the comments on that video before you buy!
2008 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

out of interest today i serviced and fixed my mates power steerin on his transit and while i got him to give it a rev and fill the oil filter i seen the air box pipe colapsing under the sustion from the engine! ive never seen this before so i looked up this vid and it seems to make sence...we de cat and open up the exhaust system so doing the same to the intake maybe....i was even thinking of a pannel filter then disconect cold air feed and put a little one over the pipe outlet...jus wana giv the engine a break now de egred it putting new cambelt an all that on soon...not so interested in performance but it does good on mpg letting it breathe easyier...i dont know aslong as i kept up on the greeseing it would be sound...also would put a uprated cold feed to lessen risk of drowning
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chip-tuning-p ... 43b99a55b1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and then one of these for good measure
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

I love comments on k&n air filters from people who've never ever fitted one or actually seen one up close. They are covered in oil, so actually capture all the debris regardless of size that a paper filter does, but the paper filter just clogs up wheareas on a k&n its spread out more because of the oil. Eventually a very clogged up K&N is no better than a paper filter, but it takes a few years whereas the paper one is lucky to last a year. I've been using them for years & has my engine gone bang, nope, currently on 160k & still going strong. No manufacturer would be selling millions of these if they were crap, don't forget that there are other companies out there such as pipercross, green cotton etc.. who also have very good reputations. I can't honestly say whether it adds performance to my car or not, but i do know that i only need one air filter for the life of the car rather than buying & then ditching paper filters that get put into landfill, i know which i prefer. Everytime the car is due an oil change, i take it out & give it a hoover & every 2 years a clean & re-oil. But there is no harm in fitting paper filters if you choose to do so ;)
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I thought that Europe had processes in place for recycling the paper filters?

Personally, I tear out the centre to go with my recycling paper/cardboard.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Any of you K&N users had MAF failure? They're not recommended for the Impreza as the oil from the filter gets on the MAF and ends up ruining it. I can also buy 10 normal filters for the price of one K&N.

No ta. Said flow was normal when the VW Golf TDi was remapped with a standard filter in.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

taffy wrote:

after watching this i will be buying one!...less strain on the engine! =D>

lol gota get engine running first thou haha!
Haha…My air intake could be the worse, no paper and no oil, just stainless steel plate inside and no cleaning. I’m now looking for the original air filter box to replace it.

Regards,
Last edited by begins on 13 Jun 2013, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've got a K and N panel on my V6 Xantia....

Reminds me I must get a new stock of normal ones in for the other cars.

And oil filters too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

had a cone filter on an old V6 Vectra I had , was so aweful (even after fitted a heat shield) that the airbox went back on and it ran ebtetr!

engine heat kills cone filters , but am temtped to get a panel for my car.... had one on my active and it felt crisper.
Simon
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Hi all,

I chanced upon this youtube clip at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlqIAB-kB_w

So Stainless steel air filter is just as effective as those oil based air filter. One plus point, no need to oil or to have it over oil so less maintenance hassle.

Regards,
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

I've heard of MAF failure because of the oil from the K&N getting onto it. This is caused by user error, when purchased new they already have the correct amount of oil coating on them, its when the user decides to clean the filter & then over oils it. This is no fault of k&n but the user, so as long as you follow the instructions then it won't happen.
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman