Xantia - suspension levelling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Xantia - suspension levelling

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys, I've just changed the front spheres on Fred as she was very bouncy. Also changed the front brake flexible hoses (thanks for the advice). The rear spheres are 2 weeks old.

The suspension is being a bit weird now though, the front was too low and the rear OK and then the rear too high but the front OK. She goes up to service high and down to service low just fine.

Do I just need to do a bit more citrobics? What controls the height anyway?

Thanks!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Xantia - suspension levelling

Post by Lighty »

Your suspension height is controlled by a two Height corrector valves that have reference clamp fitted to,the front and rear antiroll bar, these are mounted in the centre of the car on the front and rear subframes.
The amount of movement on these devices is very limited, so they can easily stick or seize over time. Also the little clamp can snap, or the plastic link wears and falls off.
I would check that the links are not broken or disconnected before you go any further.
Take great care when working on the height mechanism of any car, as you will be under the car it MUST be securely supported or on a lift, as it is simple to,accidentally depresurise the system, and end up,with the car on top,of you. !
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

My recently acquired Xantia HDI 110 was behaving a little oddly, I have lubricated the springy linkages on the height correctors front and rear using a small paintbrush and a lovely mixture of oil and grease and that appears to have done the trick yet again.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

My lazy way to clean and lubricate, is to soak the mechanism with spray penetrating fluid and agitate with a small cheap paint brush; repeat until all the dirty sticky old grease is off, leave to drip dry as long as you can then spray with white grease or chain grease. More details and pictures here

WHEN WORKING UNDER A XANTIA, ALWAYS SUPPORT HER ON AXLE STANDS (at least at the end that you're working on) - if the suspension drops, you'll have over a TON of car squashing you. A slow, and very painful, way to die.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. I'm confused though, as the car rises to high and lowers to low just fine I wouldn't have thought the height contractors were stuck? Or does the hc only control the normal? If so what controls the high and low?

Will give the hc's a look, too hot just yet, have to wait till this evening. They won't be rusty but they will be covered in dust (dirt roads!) which cakes up.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Jaf wrote:Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. I'm confused though, as the car rises to high and lowers to low just fine I wouldn't have thought the height contractors were stuck? Or does the hc only control the normal? If so what controls the high and low?

Will give the hc's a look, too hot just yet, have to wait till this evening. They won't be rusty but they will be covered in dust (dirt roads!) which cakes up.
You've got two independant(ish) linkages to the height control valves.
There's the automatic one which is connected to the anti-roll bars. It connects to the control arm on the end of the HC valve via the legs of a spring.
Then there is the manual override one which is connected via a rod to the lever beside your seat. It connects to the control arm via a peg in a hole on the arm in between the legs of the spring of the auto linkage, this way it can be manually moved forward and back and the spring legs take up the difference between the auto and manual movements.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks Xac. I think I'm beginning to understand. I shall have a look at the hc's. I know in theory they won't unstick without taking them off, but you never know!

She's always been a bit high at the back so once I get her hc's working properly I will be reading all about re-setting the height.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Well it's been too hot to be wearing overalls. So took her round the block (so to speak) with the front OK and the rear high, and she settled down! Hurrah! Supposed to get even hotter for a few days so I won't be looking at the hc's for a while. At least I can drive her again!