Cannot open driver door in Citroen C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

x_XP

Cannot open driver door in Citroen C5

Post by x_XP »

Hi everyone,

This post in relation to 05 my Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Estate.
Today I parked my car on the driveway and shut my door as usual without locking the car, after fifteen minutes or so i come back to let the dog out, but drivers door was somehow locked.
Firstly i though that dog might have pressed some button, this happened to me in Land-rover when dog stood on central locking on the door .
So I pressed lock and unlock with remote but this did not work.

Drivers door remind shut/locked and can not be open from inside with the handle or outside with key or remote, all other doors are working, this is a bit strange because car was left unlocked.

So my question is did this happen to anyone and what is the procedure in this instance to get the drivers door open?
Is it possible to remove door lining panel while door is shut?

Thanks Michael
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Cannot open driver door in Citroen C5

Post by myglaren »

Give the door a really hard push in the area near the lock and you will probably find it will open. If not operate the lock a few times and try again.
It is a known problem. Both mine have done it on occasion, the estate more than the current one.

Clean the lock contact areas thoroughly and apply some silicone lubricant (Halfords have it if there are no other local options).
x_XP

Re: Cannot open driver door in Citroen C5 SOLVED

Post by x_XP »

Thank you
SOLVED
goggling i did find this solution:
quote:
"Stumbled across a way of getting door open. If its the front door, turn the key to the unlock position (anticlockwise) and turn it forcefully it should click at about the 9 o clock position. You should then be able to get door open"
Had to do this twice than it worked for me
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

chaps..

not quite on the same subject as the original message
both my front doors now almost impossible to open from the inside.. MOT in 2 days... I am guessing the doors have dropped now? certainly I can feel movement on the drivers door..
if that is not the problem, then there is something wrong with the unlocking handle/mechanism within the door..

I stress that the door is unlocking ok, just not openable from inside unless a fairly violent tug on the handle..

anyone had similar? it seems a bit like the handle isn't doing enough, in it's movement.. to get the latch open.. I notice the handles do have a 'stop' mechanism, meaning they will only move/open so far

John
edit..

just been outside and opened all doors, and clicked the latch as if they all shut.. sure enough, the rear door's internal handle operates smoothly, and when handle is about 60% open the latch clicks open

front doors. harder to operate the internal handles, pull them as far as possible and the latches don't move.. only when you pull them hard and fast will the latch open..

hmm
will de skin them (and me) in an hour
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

John, push the door hard from the outside and I think you'll find it will open then.
Spray the lock mechanism with silicon lubricant and it will be OK for a few months.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Steve..

took skin off.. door handle just doesn't quite do enough work to open the lock.. sprayed inside of mech anyway..
added a few small zip ties in a useful place and it works for now..
will do same with passenger door tomorrow

it's odd though....
must be worn or seized components in the lock mechanism.. that mostly affect the internal handle, not the external one,,
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It's not uncommon. My old estate has the interior handle broken off now, they open the door by opening the window and using the exterior handle. Idiots.
Oliver53
Donor 2024

Post by Oliver53 »

My 2003 2.0 hdi estate is having the same problem on driver's door. Not possible to open it from either side. Tried all the tricks mentioned above (pushing hard from outside, turn key forcefully) to no avail. Any other ideas please?
2000 ZX 1.4i
2006 Xsara Picasso 2.0i
2011 C5 2.3i (EW12A)
2003 Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
1985 2CV6 Special
Oliver53
Donor 2024

Post by Oliver53 »

Update: I tried to remove the door card with the door shut but failed. However, after removal of all screws I can reach the steel rod through the gap between door card and door, by pulling the rod the door was finally opened.

Oliver53 wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 19:37 My 2003 2.0 hdi estate is having the same problem on driver's door. Not possible to open it from either side. Tried all the tricks mentioned above (pushing hard from outside, turn key forcefully) to no avail. Any other ideas please?
2000 ZX 1.4i
2006 Xsara Picasso 2.0i
2011 C5 2.3i (EW12A)
2003 Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
1985 2CV6 Special