AL4 box issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sam KS
My Cars:

AL4 box issues

Post by Sam KS »

HELP!!!!

Hi all, I've had some problems with with my S2 Xantia AL4 box. At first it would
go into "safe" mode all the time. I changed the oil, changed the oil then changed it some more. Then it was fine when warm but used to go into "safe" mode 1-3 times first time in the morning but then was fine for the rest of the day.

Any how, was told to try some transmission additive, and that is where it all went wrong. Now it is sore in 1st and reverse but slips very badly in 2,3 and 4th. And go's into safe mode with in about 200 meters. I have done 4 oil changes since putting in the additive. Not can get to 500 meters before "safe" mode.

Is there any hope? Or is it stuffed? How long dose it take to change a transmission.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Replace top two solenoids with ones from AliExpress or dealer of choice, make sure software is 2003 or newer version. Report back when done.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Re: AL4 box issues

Post by Sam KS »

Is that a simple job? Where are they? Can I ask you to give me a call tomorrow ( no phone reception where I live) and explain what and where.

I need to get it sorted ASAP, we just sold the house and have to be out in 4 weeks.
Last edited by Sam KS on 03 Jun 2013, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Can you tell us which additive you added that worsened the problems ? I ask because I'm about to add some to mine... :? (mind you it sounds like the symptoms were serious even before it was added)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Number saved already Sam; you can edit it out of the post if desired. Is six-thirty too early?
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Is there 2 6:30's in one day?

I'll be on the road at 8am tomorrow, will be out n about all day. Any time after 8 is good with me.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Mandrake wrote:Can you tell us which additive you added that worsened the problems ? I ask because I'm about to add some to mine... :? (mind you it sounds like the symptoms were serious even before it was added)
Wynns trans additive, but I suspect any of them Might do it, I never trusted auto trans additives in any thing other than the old school 2-3 speeds.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

Thanks for the help Addo, just an update for people.

I changed the two pressure solinoids and changed the fluid number of times. The car is now changes better and can drive a bit, but not fixed, but could get the car home. Next step is to change the valve body unless I can find a good cheap second hand box. Bt this will have to wait until I have moved house. So in 4 weeks time I'll start looking about for a AL4 box.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

An update, moved house and have borrowed a car till the end of the year when we are planing on moving again but if all go's according to plan will be looking for a replacment car at the time. So not going to try the valve body. Will advertise the car for sale but with the value of scrap, it'll probably one less Xantia on the road.

It's a pitty really, good car with every thing else sorted. I'd happily have another one but my wife thinks they are boring, I like it because its boring.