RT3 multifunction ECU help. Works ok but Lexia can't see it!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nickyg
My Cars:

RT3 multifunction ECU help. Works ok but Lexia can't see it!

Post by nickyg »

Hello everyone,

I hope I'm not showing bad form by starting a thread, but some of you may remember a little investigating we done with the Lexia cable pins in another thread a while back. Well that issue has been resolved, the Lexia is fine, as the dealers diagnostic also fails to communicate with my Multifunction screen/RT3 element.

Could someone with a knowledge of the electrical/ECU side of things possibly point me in the right direction as to where I should begin to track down the reason there is no communication between Lexia and the the RT3 ECU?

Thanks in advance!
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Re: RT3 multifunction ECU help. Works ok but Lexia can't see

Post by Trainman »

I had this on my previous C6, it needed a code putting into lexia to be able to speak to the unit, now where did I put it ????
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg »

Thanks trainman.. The printout from the dealers diagnostic session also shows evidence of not seeing the "multifunction screen".. Would this still apply?
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Nicky,

I've hunted high and low for the code but I can't find it, as for the screen not showing on Lexia, I'm not sure, if you can hang on until Friday I'll plug my Lexia into the C6 and have a scout at what it say's
Steve

nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg »

Trainman,

Thanks for all this. Hope to chat again in a few days time!

I've never been able to access multifunction screen or suspension sections. It regards them as not present. I'll have another try myself, but am pretty certain I can't gain access by any avenue to do things like activate the audio in the glove box and the other greyed out menus. I also PM'd m3mpower who knows a lot about rt3/4/5 etc and he immediately got back to me saying that if the rt3 is working ok that the testing equipment or method must be at fault. As the issue occurs for me and now the dealership, I'm therefore inclined to be suspicious of my obd2 pins in the centre console and am going to spray some electrical contact cleaner in there tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Nicky
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Nicky,

Didn't get chance to do this on friday, one of my appointments got changed and messed up my plans, I will do it on friday as I'm off and not answering the phone...
Steve

nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg »

Ok, just an update on this.

As you may well know from the thread trying to troubleshoot and distinguish the Suspension ECU on the hydractive 3+ (c6 and, I'd assume, a lot of c5's), we went through a bit of a Lexia to Diagbox installation and learning crash course, and that thread became more about the head unit (RT3) functions than the Suspension question!

What I can offer at this stage is that, having become semi capable with the new diagbox installation I was able to understand that what I wanted to achieve and enable could be done in the Telematics (BOUTIER TELEMATICS) ECU category. Further tweaking in the BSI category helped also (eg. Choosing which ECUs are present on the car)

So, progress made. However, I must say that it really can be confusing! For example, it is clear that different ECUs , marked present or non in the BSI configuration menu, have a corresponding effect on what you can do elsewhere.

That may seem like a pretty logical statement, but consider that it it took me ages to stumble upon a combination of BSI configurationn menu that allowed me to respectively toggle certain parts of the Telematics configuration. Further consider that the BSI configuration has options (off the top of my head) for "Radio", "telematics or radio navigation" "service module/independent telematics" and the Telematics configuration has toggles for "audio equipment (RD4)" "radio and telephone' and at least a couple other similar ones.

That was a mouthful, I know, but what it boiled down to for me playing about today (wanted to ensure my JBL pack was definitely configured and utilising the additional amplifier), was that it was like trying to throw two sixes, or complete one of those slidey square tiles puzzles matching up correlating functions between differing ECU diagnostic categories!

In the end up, 'multifunction screen' still never once communicated. I don't really need too access it now, but I'm sure it's just a matter of having the BSI and other configurations lined up just so. Then again, the lottery is just having six balls lined up just so!

I have "Audio equipment (RD4)" marked present in Telematics as I believe it denotes the extra JBL stuff with my RT3. This only configures correctly when "radio" ECU and "telematics or radio navigation" are toggled a certain way on and off within the BSI configuration menu.

I'd love to wrap my head further around Citroens labelling of hardware. It is almost impossible to know what some of them are without inside knowledge of these cryptic monickers! (When at least half a dozen differing pieces of hardware share very similar labels, for example.
Transpose this same puzzle type scenario when tracing dependant ECUs and toggles into the "Suspension" or "Variable Damping" categories and one can see how a dealership diagnostic session could well be expensive and/or unproductive.

Its late. My brain hurts. Now yours does too!

Good night :-)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Citroen's labelling of stuff is "entertaining" to say the least... I think a lot of the problem is poor translation to English, but another part is that car engineers should not be programming computers! :twisted: Remember though that the Lexia/Diagbox system is a dealer tool not designed for the general public to use, and as such isn't as user friendly as a piece of commercial software.

A lot of the documentation on how to use it is also stored elsewhere, not within the software itself. Some is hosted online via the Documentation tab in Diagbox (which can't be accessed on "clone" Lexia's since we don't have an online account with PSA) and a lot of it is in the service manuals for the respective cars in Citroen Service Box, so if you have a copy of Citroen service box (or pay for online access at service.citroen.com) the service manuals will tell you what to do with the Lexia to achieve certain aims, for example how to replace and reconfigure a faulty RT3 unit.

I think most of us just figure out what we need to know with educated trial and error and asking others for help! :lol:

Regarding your RT3 unit, a google search turned up a thread from this forum where Trainman posted some details, not sure if this is of any help:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=41427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another one that might help:

http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/forum ... php?167249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One other suggestion after reading that second thread, are you certain that your car actually has an RT3 fitted, and not an RT4 or later as an upgrade option ? There are a number of different compatible units that are shared between multiple models of Citroen, perhaps yours has been replaced at some point (faulty outside warranty ?) and it hasn't been activated properly in Lexia/Diagbox ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Mandrake wrote:Regarding your RT3 unit, a google search turned up a thread from this forum where Trainman posted some details, not sure if this is of any help:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=41427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another one that might help:

http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/forum ... php?167249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well done that man =D> I'd completely forgotten about that #-o
Mandrake wrote: One other suggestion after reading that second thread, are you certain that your car actually has an RT3 fitted, and not an RT4 or later as an upgrade option ?
RT3 - CD changer in the boot and maps on a CD.
RT4 - Music and maps stored on a hard drive in the head unit.
RT5 - as per RT4 but with bluetooth.
Steve

nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg »

Hello again guys,

Yes, it's an RT3. I'm actually leaning towards the idea that "multifunction screen" is actually the smaller monochrome instrument display that came mostly with the RD4s and it is configured present somehow on my car due to the aforementioned plethora of the combinations present for Radio/Telematics/Navigation etc across multiple ECU categories. How this could have come to pass, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't rule out an overzealous diagnostic session during its early life as company chauffeur vehicle, where they had it religiously at Citroen City in Whitechapel.

Funnily enough I don't see mention of "presence of RT3" in any option to be activated /deactivated. I'm pretty sure it was there on older guidelines I've read on the configurable parameters.

One possibility is that that have an updated label (eg: "presence of radio/telematics unit") in order to cover RT3/4/5. Another possibility, that you guys seem to be touching on too, is that I have a corrupted RT3 installation of some kind.

I may go through the lexia element of diagbox for a look see. Then have a look at Docbackup to see if there are more explicit instructions on installing RT3. My cracked Docbackup (citroen service) came with the interface 3 years ago, so not sure if its relevance would be stuck at that date or not. Hopefully not, and I will be able to marry up Diagbox 7.xx procedures with the instructions therein.

Nicky :-)
Foch
New User

Post by Foch »

Hello. Newbie here, so apologies if this is in the wrong place - and please redirect me if so.

I have a C5 2009 Exclusive - on attempting to re-fit the Blaupunkt RD4 head unit, I find the OEM wiring harness quad connector is gone - cut off. If anyone were able to post a picture of the original, with the wire colors clear, or provide a pin and wire color list, that would be sensational. I know the speaker set up, but I don't know the rest - any help most gratefully appreciated. PS: I am in OZ, I love my C5 and Prince WIllie did a pretty fair job out here for a young 'fella....
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Have a look at http://www.C4owners.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.C6owners.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the RD4 unit was fitted on the C4, C5, and some C6 here's a link to the C6 technical section, although you will have to join the site http://c6owners.org/download.php?list.20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve