c8 automatic gearbox (al4) issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: c8 automatic gearbox (al4) issues

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Aaron :-D Watching and reading with interest...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I'm watching with interest too and hoping for a positive outcome. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
arronmc

Post by arronmc »

as of right now i have the subframe , steering rack etc off the car the box is on with 2 bolts only i need to get the o/s shaft out and its ready to come out as i said earlier the oil pump etc is out of the donor box ready to go in and after stripping the subframe from the car that will be the easy bit
atb arron
arronmc

Post by arronmc »

right i got the oil pump and filter changed yesterday and its working fantastic now not sure if the pump was faulty or if it was just the filter i changed both when i had the box out , i still have a few jobs to do but it will have to wait a few days as the o/s front spring snapped when i had my hand in there jamming 3 fingers against the seat of the shocker i had to get a power bar to prize them out (now thats a freak accident if i ever saw one lol) and ive shattered the end bone in my ring finger off to see the surgeon in an hour or so . once again i would like to thank citrojim for all the invaluble advice and hopefuly my experience can help some one else with similar symptoms
atb arron
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Geeze mate, sorry to hear about the finger! :shock: Excellent news on the gearbox though :-D Hopefully no dirt got into the oil ways or inside the gearbox while you were working on it. Even a tiny bit of dirt can gum up the valve block and cause major problems. Was the filter really blocked or did it look ok ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ohh nasty on the finger Aaron but excellent news on the 'box..

Hope the finger is soon sorted out [-o<
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
arronmc

Post by arronmc »

they said i was lucky it didnt take the end clean off i cant lift anything heavy or put strain on it for 2 weeks and i cant bend it but it will be fine and all the pieces are in the right place , the filter didnt look to bad but i didnt prize it open so its hard to tell im just glad its running again
atb arron
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

OWW! I bet the car learnt a few choice words! Take it carefully, you don't want to hurt it again.

Barring the injury, well done on the 'box. Keep going (when you are able to), you'll get her there.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
arronmc

Post by arronmc »

right i now have the car built back up (with a pair of new coil springs on the front) the car is driving lovely the only thing is the esp light is on there are no fault codes coming up just the light and the message on the dash saying esp faulty any ideas would be gratefuly recieved
atb arron
arronmc

Post by arronmc »

the esp light was just because the steering wheel was 360 degrees out because I hadn't realised it had turned when I had the rack disconnected it is now fully built back up and working 100% I hope this thread will be of some help to someone else in the future ,
thanks goes out to all that helped especialy citrojim who has excelent knowledge of these boxes
atb arron
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Congratulations on a job well done, setbacks and injuries notwithstanding. Your experience (and write up) almost certainly will help others.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
1inchwarrior
New User
My Cars:

Post by 1inchwarrior »

I have had a very similar problem with my AL4 gearbox, http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeo ... blems.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Having been trawling the tinternet looking for some an answer I stumbled across this thread and so with your success I may just have to try the filter / pump change my self.
I have a rebuild manual however I have no idea (yet) what the beat method is to take the gearbox out. Any help/ advice / links would be much apreciated.
Peugeot 306 1.6 Meridian AL4 Auto :(
Frenchtranstech
My Cars:

Post by Frenchtranstech »

Your p/solenoids are getting stuck or still a little sticky for sure ,it's not the oil pump it's not the clutches or bands,I sell in Australia my own design modified super slippery solenoids that will fix all your problems. If your interested my email is tonyandryan at msn dot com
Pözho

Post by Pözho »

Hey Arron,

I was reading your story with excitement. By the way, hope your hand got well after all that!

Myself I'm fighting with the AL4 on my Peugeot 406 HDI.

Long story short: 2 days after I bought it went into gear box fault (on a steep hill).
Next day the faults became more often until it stopped driving after about 50km.

What I've done so far:
Replaced both solenoids, dismantled the valveblock and cleaned it, cleaned the small filter in it, changed the oil.
Nothing has changed.

When I read out the parameters with Diagbox the problem is the oil pressure.
When I start the engine, the oil pressure is for the first 10-20 seconds, car drives perfectly.
Then oil pressure drops and the car doesn't drive anymore.
If I restart the car it drives again perfectly for 10-20 seconds.

It seems to me like there is a sock in the sump which blocks the oilflow.
But this is just a feeling. I'm afraid the oilfilter is burst/ clogged or the oil pump is defective.

Any comments on that?

Thank you,
Rod
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Pözho wrote: When I read out the parameters with Diagbox the problem is the oil pressure.
When I start the engine, the oil pressure is for the first 10-20 seconds, car drives perfectly.
Then oil pressure drops and the car doesn't drive anymore.
If I restart the car it drives again perfectly for 10-20 seconds.

It seems to me like there is a sock in the sump which blocks the oilflow.
But this is just a feeling. I'm afraid the oilfilter is burst/ clogged or the oil pump is defective.

Any comments on that?
Sounds exactly like the symptoms I saw here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=41417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately there was no resolution to the problem on that car - the owner scrapped it. :(
Simon

1978 CX 2400