front and rear brakes c5 air in system???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oneday
My Cars:

front and rear brakes c5 air in system???

Post by oneday »

just done the front and rear brakes. replaced front discs and pads and cleaned and greased where required all ok when tested.

rear removed and scrapped calipers and discs { what a b******d of a job to remove both sheared bolts on nearside} cleaned corrosion from normal place fitted new calipers with gasket and silicon grease new discs fitted and new caliper bolts. carried out bleeding of the rear brakes took car for a test run brakes working fine apart from if you keep your foot pressing the brake it continues to go down slowly. I think I may still have air in the system as it was ok before doing the brakes. have checked for leakes all id dry no fluid loss.

has anyone any other thoughts on this?
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: front and rear brakes c5 air in system???

Post by myglaren »

Mine is similar since the discs were replaced on the front. Brakes work fine but there is a bit too much movement of the pedal for my liking.
The rear disks and callipers wee replaced last year and the brakes were fine after that job.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

im going to bleed the whole system in the morning when ive fetched some more fluid I think I may have got air into the system at the front.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine has been bled and better bled with no improvement.
I am fairly accustomed to them now but when I get the estate back for a while the difference is very noticeable.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If you sit with your foot rested lightly on the pedal and the pedal creeps down it's likely to be the master cylinder.

The fluid is leaking back past the seals, this can be caused if the bore has developed a wear ridge, bleeding pushes the rubber past its normal distance and the edges of the seal are damaged by the ridge.

Of course you must satisfy yourself that it's not just air in the system first before lashing out on a master cylinder.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

carried out bleeding the brakes today used three litres of fluid loads of air in the system used a gunsons easy bleed so brake peddle never moved during the the process but thanks for the advice. brakes are firm to press now just a very slight spongy feel due to pads still bedding in. thanks to myglaren and gibbo for there input.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN