Xantia-brake pipes my no9 needs replacing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Xantia-brake pipes my no9 needs replacing

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Shiny new joiners arrived

Couple of little niggles-getting the steel pipe straight enough to allow the union to slide over it, and not really allowing for how long the joiner was when I cut the pipe.

The flare wasn't that great so I might make it again by sawing it off, and it will allow the joiner to be in a better position when the pipes are back in their clips.

Is it more the rubber seal which does the sealing as opposed to the union wedging itself up against the flare as its tightened down?

regards

Neil

PS totally unrelated but is there a Service-Renault like Service-Citroen? Whenever I go for parts, or look online for parts for my daughter's clio, the reg no never seems to produce the definitive part for the vehicle, and for example I have to decide whether it has 180mm brake drums or 203.5mm brake drums (internal dimensions I presume). It would be nice to get the original equipment spec for the vehicle.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Mission accomplished

Mission accomplished, brake pipe no9 replaced using a joiner.

Thanks to all contributors to the thread, with special thanks to Mike (superloopy) for the use of his tool and pipe.

Hope the thread is useful to others tackling the same job-not really that difficult. The plumbing runs look like spaghetti junction and even if I say so myself doing my little diagram simplified it for me and was time well spent.

Thanks again

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I wish I'd thought of this before ordering my replacement pipe. I've just had a look at the front end where it goes into the "Safety Valve". As far as I can see I will have to remove the n/s wishbone to get anywhere near the valve.. I just pray the union comes out in one piece.
Has anyone done the full replacement back to front?
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
fangorn
My Cars:

Post by fangorn »

c.morewood wrote:I wish I'd thought of this before ordering my replacement pipe. I've just had a look at the front end where it goes into the "Safety Valve". As far as I can see I will have to remove the n/s wishbone to get anywhere near the valve.. I just pray the union comes out in one piece.
Has anyone done the full replacement back to front?
I must change no1 to my Xantia. I wonder how come it is possible to remove that plastic shield that covers the pipes all way from front to back ? I have removed plastic screws that holds the cover in place but how can I disconnect it from pipes without breaking it. #-o
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

The rearmost section is held in place by 4 tabs.. you just have to use some careful pressure to prise the plastic on the tank away from the plastic tabs on the shield. I then used some WD40 to spray the upper side of the shield where it holds the pipes and prised the pipes out of their holders with a long flat bladed screwdriver. Once you've got the 1st section of shield off the rest comes fairly easily. When refitting I started at the rear and worked forward pressing the pipes in as you go.
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

NewcastleFalcon

Chris

I have a spare "joiner" left over from my activity. You are welcome to have it if you want to give it a try.

kind regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
fangorn
My Cars:

Post by fangorn »

c.morewood wrote:The rearmost section is held in place by 4 tabs.. you just have to use some careful pressure to prise the plastic on the tank away from the plastic tabs on the shield. I then used some WD40 to spray the upper side of the shield where it holds the pipes and prised the pipes out of their holders with a long flat bladed screwdriver. Once you've got the 1st section of shield off the rest comes fairly easily. When refitting I started at the rear and worked forward pressing the pipes in as you go.
Thanks ! The reamost section was the easy part but towards the front I found it very hard to get the shield away :cry:
I´ll try the lubrication trick next, thanks again :)
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Thanks Neil,
I've managed to sort the rear end out now just have to connect the front. If I'd have thought it was going to be this difficult I'd have gone straight for the join. But since I'm almost there, I'm going to try to complete the run. Thanks for the offer anyway.
I found out whilst studying the supply layout that the pipe I'm working with isn't (or I don't think) the supply as it comes from the "K" on the o/s the same one which supplies the anti sink.. The Brake diagram shows it to be a brake pipe.. but citroenxm says that should be 4.5mm ans its definately 3.5. So i'm going out in an hour or so and try to trace where the old pipe ends up before taking anymore of the wishbone off (for access) The top access for me is diabolical and I just wouldn't be able to get my hands in there.. the bottom looks a bit of a better bet .. but it'll be mostly alll feel.
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dam i hadnt followed this thread thus far,

im going to atempt to patch a section in on Northern Mikes V6 on monday, and he has just ordered a couple of straight joiners/couplers from Malcolm Lockwood,

aah well
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

I've got a couple of threads running this subject.. I've just seen citroenxm' s reply I'll copy it here

"Ok. Im fairly certain theres only 4 front to backs. 3x 3.5mm pipes and 1x 4.5mm and a plastic low pressure return.

a 4.5 pipe goes From the abs block to the rear NEAR SIDE K joint.
a 3.5 mm pipe goes from ONE of the joins on the bulk head for the brake valve to the rear height corrector
A 3.5 mm goes from the height corrector to a push fit return at the front just below the lhm tank
A 3.5mm goes from the safty valve to the OFF SIDE K joint to feed the suspension.

The 6.5 is a plastic low pressure return line"

I hope this helps
Chris
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K