Xantia-brake pipes my no9 needs replacing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: Xantia-brake pipes my no9 needs replacing

Post by citronut »

so No. one is from the safety valve to the rear anti sink valve
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

superloopy wrote:Cant you do as Paul says and chop the leaking bit out? Would need a couple of connectors though.
Its a possibilty if you have the gear and the skill. You would have to flare the original steel pipe on the vehicle in situ in two places, use the correct male/female connectors, and put in a new section of Kunifer pipe. I currently do not have a flaring tool to make the appropriate ends. I have in the past made up brake pipes for my mini which was my first car in 1978 so the skills are lurking there somewhere, but whenever I have needed them in the last 20 years I have just got them made up.

I would be interested if details of the necessary connectors and flare profiles to do a cut out section repair were posted up. i would imagine the flaring tool/tools would be pretty expensive.
RichardW wrote: I would give Martin at Plaides a phone - he will a) make you up a (kunifer) pipe and send it out, and b) give some advice on replacing it
Thanks Richard once I have definitively identified the pipe I will need to decide whether to get the long pipe, or possibly get 3 pipes to make the installation easier. I wonder if the official pipe from citroen would be in steel and come pre-formed with the various bends, or just in a coil?

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The pipe from Citroen is possibly NLA now, however, if it was available, it would be in the correct shape with all the bends ETC in place! All other pipes are shaped ready ...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I dont reckon they come down the near side.. i Know that all four front to rear pipes plus the low pressure leak return pipes run along the near side go up on the near side between the back of the tank and front of the subframe then run along the top of the subframe to the appropiate places.. one runs over to the off side of the subframe Inboard of the o/s strut House which is the longest.. the next two go from the height corrector but one is a return and is connected to a rubber return at the front and the 4th a 4.5mm pipe connects at the near side to the K joint for brakes.. again inboard of the n/s strut house...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
NewcastleFalcon

Mike
superloopy wrote:5270.98 still available (maybe, not showing as NFP) at £66.94 inc vat ... for 3.6m, gulp!!

Neil, you said in a previous post that the leak was on the offside, Paul reckons these pipes (brake and suspension) come down the nearside so which one is it?
The 5270.98 is the suspension pipe back to front is 3.69M and costs £66.94, but the No. 9 front-back pipe on my first diagram is 4855.05 is 3.768M and is listed at £39.90 inc VAT on service citroen and doesn't have NFP next to it. The longer pipe is bizarrely much cheaper.

Precise identification of the leaking pipe is underway but drizzle has stopped play. There are only a couple of possibilities though with the most likely the 3.768M pipe number 9 which runs from front to back, down the nearside then across behind/on top but definitely out of sight on the subframe to the offside.

thanks Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Mike

I try to choose my moments now for messing about with the xantia. The pressure is off my old motor now. It doesn't have to be fixed overnight to be ready for the daily commute the next day. Doesn't take much drizzle to put me off.

Key thing above anything else is to get a summer MOT date so with a few sunny days I intend to tinker around and get it ready. I have had the experience of a January or February MOT and its no fun. I remember fitting one of the curly brake pipes at the back of the Xantia on the pavement outside Centreville in february after the MOT tester had generated a leak with his poking and prodding.

I have been a member of the working in a muddy puddle club for many years now :) .

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Mike,

You are right there is nothing to lose by giving the cut out and insert a new section of pipe a go. May need a rapid learning curve to master the tool and get a good standard of appropriate flares for the joins working under the car. If its just lying around your shed, and you are willing to let me have a go, I will PM you after I have definitively identified the leaking section of pipe/pipes.

If anyone can post up pics of the flares and connectors necessary to make the join between a 3.5mm steel pipe and an equivalent 3.5mm kunifer pipe it would be helpful. These are standard M10 unions and connectors. Is something different required for the 3.5mm Citroen piping?

ImageImage

regards

Neil

PS Northumberland was looking at its best tonight as I drove the country way into town, beautiful bright low sun over wide horizons down to the sea just in case anyone thinks it drizzles all the time up here :)
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

My Xantia's rear plumbing

A sunny day today so I have been under the Xantia attempting to follow the complicated plumbing. In conclusion there are only two possibilities for the leak, the return 3.5mm metal pipe from the height corrector ( not the plastic one) , or my original thought the number 9 3.5mm brake supply pipe. The return pipe wouldn't gush and spurt would it?

This is the end result

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

superloopy wrote:
The connectors are M8 x 1.25 and i've got some of those complete with pipe seals lying around so i think all you need would be a couple of joiners.
and some 3.5 pipe which Martin at Pleiades will sell you
Regards, malcolm.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

citronut wrote:...Pleiades
=D> =D> =D>
I have seen this mis-spelt so many times; I've given up hope that it ever reads right. Thank you Malcolm, for restoring my faith in peoples' literacy.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Good! I'll start a campaign for better global literacy, one Citroën word at a time.
NewcastleFalcon

started the cut out and repair job.

Sawed off the No9 pipe at the offside K connector. Selected a hex 8mm socket-too big, 7mm hex socket next-just too small so hammered it on. When I say hammered-its impossible to get a hammer anywhere near as hammering room is very restricted. Used the extension rod from the socket set as a hammer and on it went.

Next problem-plenty of grip with the 7mm socket but minimal room to move the handle. Detaching the K connector gave a little extra room but the body of the K connector needed gripping with mole grips to brace it against the turning force of the socket and ratchet.

Think I got it out ok without damaging the other pipes in the offside K connector.
I presume this connection has a rubber seal but it certainly didn't come out with the union. Maybe its still in the K connector haven't looked yet.

Prised out the pipes from the clips under the nearside where they approach the rear subframe in a straight run and sawed off the no9 pipe at this point.

Tried to remove the No 9 pipe in one piece, didnt succeed.
All the tight bends were very corroded, and had the offside section not given way the nearside bends would have been not far behind.
Next stage having a bit play with Mike's tool if you pardon my French, to try to get a decent flare on the steel pipe I have cut under the body at the nearside.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
citronut
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote:
citronut wrote:...Pleiades
=D> =D> =D>
I have seen this mis-spelt so many times; I've given up hope that it ever reads right. Thank you Malcolm, for restoring my faith in peoples' literacy.

i copied it from there add in the Citroenian :o :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

mind you clean the black coating off the end of the steel pipe were its going into Mikes tool :shock: :shock: :-D :wink:

have you asked Mikes permission to put your pipe in his tool, oooo la la
Regards, malcolm.

NewcastleFalcon

Thanks to Mike (superloopy) for the use of his tool.

Ordered a couple of female/female joiners from Martin at Pleiades today but in the meantime tried the tool out on bit of steel brake pipe.

Not the finest or biggest of flares, but has a good chance of doing the job. Thinking about connectors I dug out this bank of 4, which I had salvaged from my old xantia.

I could saw one off to get the job done but I am in no rush so will wait for the shiny new ones to arrive.

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey