Low oil level.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Low oil level.

Post by qprdude »

After a brisk 500+ miles earlier this week, the low oil warning and the service warning came on the following morning. I topped up the oil but the warning to "check oil level" and the "service" warning still come on when I start the engine. The oil level warning disappears but the service warning stays on. Any way of getting rid of these warnings without a visit to a lexia? The oil level is now OK on the dipstick. It's a 2.2 173 HDI (2008). I'm thinking BSI reset or a battery disconnect. Cheers for any advice.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Low oil level.

Post by qprdude »

Oops, I'm an impatient bugger. It took a few starts but the warnings have gone. Still a slight worry that the oil level dropped from exactly half way between the high and low marks, down to just under the low mark, in 500-600 miles .The total journey over three weeks was around 1600 miles, mostly high speed motorway and A roads. Nothing out of the ordinary I would have thought.
Rick.

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Mine warned me of low oil like yours after it had a service.
The dealer warned me it would.
Bit odd your oil going. I thought modern ones don't lose it in normal running.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yep, seemed a bit worrying. The 5000 miles I did prior to my latest road trip showed very little difference in oil consumption. I'm sort of hoping the shape of the sump has something to do with the sudden drop. It could have been dropping on the dipstick a mm at a time without me noticing, then as the sump narrows it would alter the dipstick reading more quickly.I only put a half litre in, to bring it back to the middle of the high/low marks. It's getting a service at the end of June so I'll keep an eye on it till then. Great thing these warnings though, I might well have missed it for another week or so.
I'll watch out for the warning after the service too. It obviously takes a little time to clear the low level reading.
I just checked, and the service is not due for another 13000 miles, but I have another long trip in early July so I'll get some new oil and filters. Might get the "Economy mode" showing every time I start up looked at at the same time. Good to know that the warning for the oil is not just on my car though, cheers for that.
Rick.

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

There's a sign up beside the service department in our Peugeot dealer advising that modern engines use up to 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles travelled! To me, that's far from acceptable!

We also got a warning about it when we got our VW company vehicles with a 1.6 Diesel in them.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DHallworth wrote:There's a sign up beside the service department in our Peugeot dealer advising that modern engines use up to 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles travelled! To me, that's far from acceptable!
Good grief!

I think my 15 year old ES9J4 in the Xantia has used all of about 100 mL in 4000 miles over a year! It's only just gone down barely visibly on the dipstick, and I wouldn't be surprised if all of that left the engine through the slight leak in the rear cambox that occasionally drips onto the exhaust! :twisted:

I thought modern engines were quite good for not burning oil, or so we were told...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I had something similar happen on the company car I had (a Skoda Octavia Elegance estate, 1.9TDi, which was a nice car). It had the variable mileage servicing capability, and used a very specific oil (which cost £17 per litre!). After I had had it a few months (and I had it since new), the oil level dropped suddenly from top mark to halfway down (and I checked the oil weekly). I couldn't find any sign of leakage whatsoever, so I went into my local Skoda dealership, who explained that what the engine did was to hold onto the crud as it built up (in the oil), and then, every so often, burn it off (which would result in about 1 litre drop). This would happen at about 8,000 mile intervals (and, because I used the right oil, the service intervals were 18,000+ mileage).
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 24 May 2013, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I had something similar happen on the company car I had (a Skoda Octavia Elegance estate, 1.9TDi, which was a nice car). It had the variable mileage servicing capability, and used a very specific oil (which cost £17 per litre!). After I had had it a few months (and I had it since new), the oil level dropped suddenly from top mark to halfway down (and I checked the oil weekly). I couldn't find any sign of leakage whatsoever, so I went into my local Skoda dealership, who explained that what the engine did was to hold onto the crud as it built up (in the oil), and then, every so often, burn it off (which would result in about 1 litre drop). This would happen at about 8,000 mile intervals (and, because I used the right oil, the intervals were 18,000+ mileage).
Sounds plauseable. I wouldn't have seen any burn off smoke to be honest, as I was keeping up a decent speed (within the limit of course). :wink:
Rick.

(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I had something similar happen on the company car I had (a Skoda Octavia Elegance estate, 1.9TDi, which was a nice car). It had the variable mileage servicing capability, and used a very specific oil (which cost £17 per litre!). After I had had it a few months (and I had it since new), the oil level dropped suddenly from top mark to halfway down (and I checked the oil weekly). I couldn't find any sign of leakage whatsoever, so I went into my local Skoda dealership, who explained that what the engine did was to hold onto the crud as it built up (in the oil), and then, every so often, burn it off (which would result in about 1 litre drop). This would happen at about 8,000 mile intervals (and, because I used the right oil, the service intervals were 18,000+ mileage).
Hmmm, that sounds like a bit of a tall tale to me. I don't know anything about these particular vag engines. Are they the infamous PD engines, if I recall they suffered extreme camshaft wear or something from using the wrong oil.
But goes to show that whilst Citroens are slated for poor reliability and volkswagen heralded as the ultimate, they have had some appalling design faults. I think it was around this time that they were installing plastic impellers on their waterpumps, which failed with pretty catastrophic consequences.

QPRdude, I'm sure you already know it but never trust the oil warning light alone. A couple of times I'v had the same thing, panicked and filled up the oil whilst it was still warm and hiding in various parts of the engine. When cold and all drained to the sump I have then found it to be overfull and had to drain some out.

Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Found this while searching the web
"The oil level warning light came on and stayed on when I started the car: Oil Level Incorrect.
Ron, Renfrewshire
Citroen C5 Estate 2011
I have a problem with my 1 year old Citroen C5 Estate VTR plus nav HDI 160 with a 1997cc diesel engine. The oil level warning light came on and stayed on when I started the car : "Oil Level Incorrect". The dip stick and the engine oil gauge confirm that the correct amount of oil is available ( not too much, not too little). This activated the service light although the car has another 5k miles before the next service is due. I have tried to reset the service light with no success, so it appears to still think that there is a problem with the oil. I would appreciate any advice or guidance to understand the problem and to reset the Oil Warning and Service lights. Any advice? (Tourer)
Answers
Hi, the oil pump will need to be replaced. My car has the same issues and I got a call from Citroen saying that it has a Citroen campaign outstanding (MTR) where they need to replace oil pump. Give your local dealer a shout for more info - Donald Campbell from Moray (Elgin) and Nairn Shire"

from http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/questi ... c5_estate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It might be worth speaking with your Dealer, or maybe ring Citroen. This recall does not appear on the DVLA site.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Mine was definitely showing low on the dipstick. After topping up, the "incorrect oil level and "service" warnings disappeared after a few engine starts. I'll mention the oil pump when I get it serviced, but the oil pump is also covered by my three year warranty so if it goes and takes anything with it, according to the small print, it's all covered.
Rick.