C4 1.6 HDi Fault Code P1351

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

R9UKE
My Cars:

C4 1.6 HDi Fault Code P1351

Post by R9UKE »

Evening folks.

Over the last few months, my grandmother has been mentioning "a light coming up on my car". Unfortunately I don't speak geriatric and of course, she never thinks to memorise what the light looks like or what the screen says when it comes up!

It happens usually when she's on the motorway, and it's a HDi, so I'm thinking EML and anti pollution system faulty? Anyway, I plugged my basic diagnostic reader in today and it brought the code P1351 up. Doing a quick search, it seems to relate to the glow plug circuit.

The car is an 05 C4 1.6 HDi VTR+ Coupé which is serviced religiously.

More worryingly, she has said that the car has "hiccuped" twice now, usually when powering up a hill at speed.

Am I right in thinking it needs new glow plugs soon? Starting isn't an issue, cold or hot, and there are no permanent warning lights on the dash.

I'm trying to tempt her into a Vel Satis but she's having none of it!!! :lol:
French is best.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C4 1.6 HDi Fault Code P1351

Post by myglaren »

The HDi glowplugs only heat at temperatures below -5°C and post heat for a short time after starting to reduce emissions Luke.
I this weather they probably won't even post-heat and if they did it would only be for a few minutes. Once engine warms up a bit they turn off.

Perhaps if you could gather some live data while she is driving under different conditions something might pop up.

Is there any chance that she has touched the brake pedal while driving/accelerating?
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Thanks for that! She's taking the car over to Wales on Sunday so probably won't get a chance before then. And with the brake pedal - I doubt it, the stretch of motorway where it usually happens is a pretty sharp incline and requires a fair bit of welly!
French is best.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I mentioned the brake pedal as if the car detects braking it cuts the fuel off. Sometimes the slightest pressure is enough to cause this.