barrel jack or scissor jack?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

barrel jack or scissor jack?

Post by boristhespie »

Which is best for carrying in car. Scissor or barrel?

Want easy to lift for me wifie,
C'est pas possible!
sandybx
My Cars: Ctroen,s SAAB, s Vauxhall,s.

Re: barrel jack or scissor jack?

Post by sandybx »

Dear Btp,
Personally I have a large very heavy 3 tonne trolley jack, that I keep at home, for such occasions that I require it.
However, with regards to your problem, I would carry the scissor jack that you will have with your cars tool kit, as these are most handy ( however they are no good to use on a soft grass verge or in the snow. ) So I would also recommend that you also carry a medium sized bottle jack, ( as these are great for motorway use )
Vince,
1992 Citroen BX TX i 1.6 auto with air con in White with 47,000 miles.
1988 SAAB classic 900 i with 3 spoke Ronals in rose quartz with 69,000 miles.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I picked up a bottle jack for Cassy as it fits in one of the side compartments of the boot. Problem is it's too short so I'd still use the scissor jack in the spare wheel.
After all, it's not like you're actually lifting the car with it, you're just using it as an axle stand and letting the suspension do the wheel/car lifting.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

The scissor jack fell apart at weekened while the nut handle bent well oit of shape. 2nd one that bent out of shape with me pulling on it. Didn't know therefore to get new scissor or a barrel one.
C'est pas possible!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i personally would go for a small portable trolley jack, the type Lidl sell in the plastic case
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I have a 20tonne 3 stage bottle jack for the RR as it is an old brute but gets the thing nice and high quite quick.

My dad uses a trolley jack for his most of the time but i find the wheels allow a bit too much movement..
I also tend to carry a few carpet tiles in the car as well.
1 goes under the jack for extra grip on any surface and the other few for kneeling on or in the case of the scissor jack, just in front of it to save scraping knuckles on the road...

The carpet tiles are great for lining the boot with as well :) I thank Jim for this idea as they are to be used in my garage as well for the flooring once i have built up my second work bench from Duropal kitchen worktop (2metres long each :D )
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

For changing a wheel on a Xantia the jack isn't the problem. Shame they put the spare wheel underneath, I struggle to use the odd shaped wrench to lower it, then grovelling and dragging the tyre clear, not easy.
The scissor jack once out is easy to use, problem is that just like the scissor jack placement is crucial. Most small bottle jacks have a small top area, ok for putting under a leaf spring but not on a sill jacking point.

I would say for safety and ease of use for someone not used to working on cars a small trolley jack is best / safest. Usually have a large notched cotact point with the car and generally not prone to tipping or skidding out at the base. Nothing is 100% safe but I always use one in the garage, out on the road I would use the scissor jack in the spare wheel, but with much muttering.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives