Xantia HDI 110 slave cylinder - 406 fitment?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rmcdonal

Xantia HDI 110 slave cylinder - 406 fitment?

Post by rmcdonal »

Hi Citroen forum,

I've read up many a thread on the clutch replacement causing possible issues with the slave cylinder if the garage has gone in heavy handed. I've got exactly the same issue. The garage has replaced the clutch but there's now no pressure on the clutch pedal and the clutch won't fully disengage with the biting point on the floor.

As my Xantia is deemed the "sealed" system, the GSF slave cylinder (with the bleed nipple) has a different connection and hence can't be installed.

I've come to the conclusion I've got 2 options :

1 - Can the original "sealed" system actually be bled somehow?
2 - If I were to purchase a 406 HDI slave (assuming its fits) with the hydraulic pipe connected from a scrappy, does anyone know if I can cut/flair the pipe then join with male/female unions (from Pleiades?) to my hydraulic pipe allowing me to bleed it?

Even with the car showing 203k miles, its still driving great. Over the last 10k miles, I've replaced the clutch, belts and spheres so I'm grudging spending any more on a Citroen sealed unit as it costs a fortune, or indeed get rid of the car due to this. My mate summed it up, "its like a soldier dying from a paper cut"!

Any help or info as usual is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Rod
1994 Xantia 1.9D LX
1998 Xantia 3.0L V6
2000 Xantia 110 HDi estate
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Re: Xantia HDI 110 slave cylinder - 406 fitment?

Post by andy5 »

I can't answer the questions, but maybe give a pointer

A couple of years ago I had a problem which eventually entailed replacing the clutch and the hydraulics, and a price that meant I should have considered throwing the car away instead

But in the middle of wondering about it, starting with me asking a couple of daft questions (I couldn't see the cylinder to start with so guessed cable), I was pointed to another rather long thread here which includes advice on the whole thing, including setting up bleeding the Xantia system by making up a bleed nipple

As someone said to me, put the kettle on ...

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... sc&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rmcdonal

Post by rmcdonal »

Thanks Andy5, like you say I'll put the kettle on and give your linked topic a good read. Cheers mate.
1994 Xantia 1.9D LX
1998 Xantia 3.0L V6
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Id like to say on this, I experianced a 2.1 TD 406 with hydraulic clutch with no pressure and the bite was on the floor...

Anyway, it was a sealed unit, HOWEVER, I somehow, managed to knock the pin out of the master cylinder on a Xantia Sealed unit that was good, topped the fluid to the top of the pipe, and fitted the 406 Master cylinder to the xantia pipe...

This is because under the bonnet the end shapes of the Xantia master and 406 master cylinders are a different shape.. anyway, the moral im trying to say, is with a bit of carefull suffleing and messing, I managed to fit a Xantia Sealed system to the 406 and got the clutch working with the bite at the middle..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
rmcdonal

Post by rmcdonal »

Thanks CitroenXM. What I'm thinking of doing is actually the other way round. I'm hoping to get a 406 slave cylinder with part of the connecting pipe and install this to the Xantia. I'm making all sorts of assumptions here ie the slave cylinder is the same mounts etc.
I do know the 406 has a difference pipe connection hence taking the pipe aswell, but what I'd like to attempt is cut the Xantia pipe and flair/connect is to the 406 pipe. As the 406 slave has a bleed nipple, I should be able to bleed it.
2 questions now, is the Xantia sealed system reservior accessable to add more fluid? Are the pipes a standard pipe diameter allowing for flairing? (I know the suspension hydraulics are a different diameter to the brakes).
Alot of questions, and I appreciate you may not know.
Thanks
Rod
1994 Xantia 1.9D LX
1998 Xantia 3.0L V6
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Clutches run at much lower pressure than Citroën brakes; you should be fine with a bunch of options in addition to the swaps discussed.

Metal ends can be re-used with new flex inbetween; you can vary the length if required too. You can sleeve joint and braze metal lines, also the barryboy types of hose with push-fit collars and "Dash 4" gauging should also work on existing plastic barbs if you very carefully slice the old hoses off. Finally, the aftermarket also flatters us with a plethora of remote reservoirs and generic master/slave cylinders - look at Wilwood's offerings for example.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

rmcdonal wrote:Thanks CitroenXM. What I'm thinking of doing is actually the other way round. I'm hoping to get a 406 slave cylinder with part of the connecting pipe and install this to the Xantia. I'm making all sorts of assumptions here ie the slave cylinder is the same mounts etc.
I do know the 406 has a difference pipe connection hence taking the pipe aswell, but what I'd like to attempt is cut the Xantia pipe and flair/connect is to the 406 pipe. As the 406 slave has a bleed nipple, I should be able to bleed it.
2 questions now, is the Xantia sealed system reservior accessable to add more fluid? Are the pipes a standard pipe diameter allowing for flairing? (I know the suspension hydraulics are a different diameter to the brakes).
Alot of questions, and I appreciate you may not know.
Thanks
Rod
No. The xantia is sealed .. theres a "breather" pot above the master but its not a fluid adder.. the only way is to add the way i said above by physically opening the system carefully.. i cant see why the 406 wont fit.. hdi 110 in the 406 will be the same box..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
seedy
My Cars:

Post by seedy »

I'm coming to this thread in July and it was current in May. I have a similar pedal-on-floor problem with my Xantia 110 Hdi. Again, it's after the clutch was replaced by a commercial garage. It's now about 100 miles since they did the job, and I know they had a lot of trouble putting the car back together when they did it. It's only when I stick my head under the battery tray that I think 'where's the bleed nipple gone to?'
Was putting a 406 slave cylinder on the Xantia a do-able job?
Of course a bleed facility needs a top-up facility. What was this about after-market reservoirs? Or do I just pinch all the hydraulic bits off the neighbour's 406?