Turbocharged xantia v6

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robin92
My Cars:

Turbocharged xantia v6

Post by robin92 »

Hi!
Anyone here has mounted a turbocharger or supercharger on xantia v6 engine? :D
Xantia Activa 2.0 tct -96, Xantia Activa v6 - 00
Sorry for my bad English;)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Turbocharged xantia v6

Post by Mandrake »

Don't think so... but these guys have done a turbo charged 406 with the same engine :-D

http://www.dp-engineering.nl/projects/p ... turbo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few sacrifices under the bonnet to make it all fit though...(battery in the boot I presume, and who knows where the air filter went. :twisted: )

Also I doubt the 4HP20 would take all that extra power so it would mean a conversion to manual as well to be practical...

And come to think of it, they must be using a custom injection ECU as well, or at the very least have reprogrammed the mappings to match the turbo and increased power... all up its a pretty massive undertaking.
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Mandrake wrote: and who knows where the air filter went. :twisted:
Replaced with a cone air filter where the battery was :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Mandrake wrote: Also I doubt the 4HP20 would take all that extra power so it would mean a conversion to manual as well to be practical...
Funnily enough I once spoke to a chap from Jag at an event, I asked him "don't they come with proper gearboxes?" since all the cars he had were automatics
"no" he said "can't make one strong enough for the torque"!

I was about to say something along the lines of "you must be doing it wrong then" but I held it in.

That 406 conversion is nicely done, seems like a pretty huge turbo for a "low boost" job. Surprised that they've managed to get an extra 100 or so horsies with the stock internals, I wonder how long the engine would last like that..
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Chlorate wrote:
Mandrake wrote: Also I doubt the 4HP20 would take all that extra power so it would mean a conversion to manual as well to be practical...
Funnily enough I once spoke to a chap from Jag at an event, I asked him "don't they come with proper gearboxes?" since all the cars he had were automatics
"no" he said "can't make one strong enough for the torque"!

I was about to say something along the lines of "you must be doing it wrong then" but I held it in.

That 406 conversion is nicely done, seems like a pretty huge turbo for a "low boost" job. Surprised that they've managed to get an extra 100 or so horsies with the stock internals, I wonder how long the engine would last like that..
Going by their text.. at least 6 years :)
Unless it's already running a manual gearbox... check out VIN: 72381672 in the usual place :) (not robin92's btw).
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Chlorate wrote: That 406 conversion is nicely done, seems like a pretty huge turbo for a "low boost" job.
True but regardless of boost pressure you have to consider the volume of exhaust gas and intake air flow - which is quite high on a 3 litre V6... anything smaller would have probably choked it and restricted its breathing, especially the exhaust side.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Ben82 wrote:
Unless it's already running a manual gearbox... check out VIN: 72381672 in the usual place :) (not robin92's btw).
Well the 406 Coupe will have already been a manual, but I was thinking of robin92's question about a Xantia V6 which are nearly all automatics.

However I've just noticed robin92's sig says he has a Xantia V6 Activa, (rare and only available outside the UK) which means its already a manual... lucky bugger... :twisted: (jealous)
Simon

1978 CX 2400
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Not all LHD V6 Activas are manual gearboxed, Citroen gave you the option. =D>

The V6 lump used by Renualt in their Pocket Rocket uses the same V6 lump, but in the later VVTi version, in standard tune will kick out about 245BHP and can easily be retuned to exceed that output with little expense in comparison to bolting on a turbo or supercharger.

According to my BIL, who has a Renault Pocket Rocket, the supercharger route is prefered as it involves less modification and there is already a kit available. 8-[ [-X

H
robin92
My Cars:

Post by robin92 »

I have manual activa v6 :)
Xantia Activa 2.0 tct -96, Xantia Activa v6 - 00
Sorry for my bad English;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chlorate wrote: I once spoke to a chap from Jag at an event, I asked him "don't they come with proper gearboxes?" since all the cars he had were automatics
Automatics ARE proper gearboxes :P :twisted:

The 406 Coupé V6 came in both auto and manual. You had the choice, even in the UK...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I bet that 406 Coupe V6 Turbo conversion was a manual though Jim. :twisted:

A manual you can just throw more torque at it until it breaks, probably with a healthy safety margin, an auto even assuming the clutches could take the torque would require the ECU reprogramming to change the assumptions of engine power that it works under...and, well, 4HP20's like to die even with the standard engine torque... :roll:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Mandrake wrote:I bet that 406 Coupe V6 Turbo conversion was a manual though Jim. :twisted:

A manual you can just throw more torque at it until it breaks, probably with a healthy safety margin, an auto even assuming the clutches could take the torque would require the ECU reprogramming to change the assumptions of engine power that it works under...and, well, 4HP20's like to die even with the standard engine torque... :roll:
Having been inside a 4HP20 I'd say they are stronger than you'd think... and anyway they don't die because of the engines torque, it seems to be the TC clutch wearing out that does it.

ECU programming, yes that would be fun and also you'd not be getting the most out of the engine if you used the stock ecu (even remapped) so then you'd have the fun and games of getting the gearbox ecu to talk to the aftermarket ecu.

A nice supercharger probably wouldnt hurt things to much.....
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm waiting for one of the manual trans cheer squad to front up the local dragstrip and tell everyone to ditch their Powerglides for Richmond manual boxes.
Having been inside a 4HP20 I'd say they are stronger than you'd think...
Yes, even the case shows much thought put into it - it's not a "reactive" design formed from overbuilding the points where prototypes failed or a grossly overweight lump like an older English made manual gearbox.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Don't forget the thing with an auto is the torque is increased by the box as well when it wants it so you can get more torque power out compared to whats put in which helps as well :)
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Xantia Activa V6 TURBO conversion!

Now that sounds like a challenge!
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive