ZX bottom radiator hose !!#@!?!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

ZX bottom radiator hose !!#@!?!!

Post by Peter.N. »

Help! Can anyone tell me how to get this hose off without destroying it. I have taken everything out of the way but still can't get hold of it.

Peter :x :? :cry:
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: ZX bottom radiator hose !!#@!?!!

Post by spider »

Probably the same as the 306. They do come out but there is a risk of destroying it or the radiator.

I'm assuming its the bayonet type one with the two clips and the "ring" on it you turn ?

If its that type you have to turn the 'ring' and then press the clips in and you can wiggle it off.

The other type (more 406/Xantia) is a metal insert with a c clip these corrode in. I tended to cut these off as corrosion made them difficult to remove.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Andy, I will give it a go.

Peter
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Managed it eventually without destroying anything, must be the most difficult radiator I have ever fitted.

Peter
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

They are a bit of a faff aren't they...
I seem to recall the o-ring on the bottom hose giving me a fair bit of trouble when I swapped the rad in my ZX years ago.
I think we broke both of the retaining clips in the process and resorted to zip ties.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I usually undo the hose at the engine end, and withdraw the radiator with hose attached. It can then be removed on the bench, or if you have a 406 the bottom "hose" is rotten metal and probably fit for the bin anyway :twisted:
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
spider

Post by spider »

True about the metal hose on the 406. I used to replace the bottom hose with a radiator after warning customer there was a high chance they needed one (I included it in the price anyway as a 'worse case' scenario) so they did not see any increase in their bill only a reduction if things went well.

The ZX / 306 ones, I used to do them in situ although there were fiddly but having car up in the air meant I had reasonable access without having a coolant shower.

405's , there was a production batch that had a very odd fitment of rad / top / bottom hose and it was discontinued. The problem here was replacements did not use the same fitting so if you needed a top hose or a bottom hose or a radiator you had to buy the other two items as well. Thankfully not many were afflicted with this PSA 'experiment'. Something tells me J or K plate.
Andy.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The bottom fitting is not to difficult to remove if only you could get to it, or even see it! It was a friend of mine's car, saw him again today, its chucking water out of the overflow now, head gasket I would think although there were no bubbles in it yesterday.

Peter
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

spider wrote:405's , there was a production batch that had a very odd fitment of rad / top / bottom hose and it was discontinued. The problem here was replacements did not use the same fitting so if you needed a top hose or a bottom hose or a radiator you had to buy the other two items as well. Thankfully not many were afflicted with this PSA 'experiment'. Something tells me J or K plate.
This is the problem I've just had with a 2002 C5 V6!

You can't get the old style radiator any more so need to change the rad and top and bottom hose!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
spider

Post by spider »

Peter.N. wrote:The bottom fitting is not to difficult to remove if only you could get to it, or even see it! It was a friend of mine's car, saw him again today, its chucking water out of the overflow now, head gasket I would think although there were no bubbles in it yesterday.

Peter
Its easier to stand 'behind' and look forwards at it rather than struggle but that's difficult without the car being up. I think the BOL suggests taking the bumper or screenwash bottle out. With good access very little needs to come out but I guess its down to what you have, these days I'd have to take stuff out the way as I don't have facilities.

I do remember the first few I did took ages and ages (rad replacement so that involves the bottom hose) about 2 hours including flush and re-fill / bleed etc. The last ones I had it in and out the workshop in 45 minutes.

I'd not like to do one at home now though on the floor, although I think I'd secure the car and lie underneath facing forwards to get at it.
DHallworth wrote:
spider wrote:405's , there was a production batch that had a very odd fitment of rad / top / bottom hose and it was discontinued. The problem here was replacements did not use the same fitting so if you needed a top hose or a bottom hose or a radiator you had to buy the other two items as well. Thankfully not many were afflicted with this PSA 'experiment'. Something tells me J or K plate.
This is the problem I've just had with a 2002 C5 V6!

You can't get the old style radiator any more so need to change the rad and top and bottom hose!

David.
There was something on a new shape 306TD too, I do remember one instance where a new rad had to have new coolant pipes (I think one oil cooler hose and either the top or bottom hose, I forget which now) as well but I put that down to it being an early new shape at the time so may of been a "parts bin" special.

Not happy to learn that they are still up to their radiator trickery at 2002 model year though :o
Andy.