Is this injector whistle?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Is this injector whistle?

Post by isisalar »

I have recently, to cure a diesel leak, replaced all the injector seals and washers on my HDI. I thought that this may also cure a whistling sound I'm getting, possibly due to poor sealing of the fire washers. Despite getting the seats as clean as possible and fitting new washers the whistle remains.
Before going down the re seating route I need to ask you good chaps if it is indeed injector whistle or am I barking up the wrong tree?
With the car stationary there is no whistle at all up to about 3000rpm when there is a very slight 'ringing' which has gone by 4000 rpm, at least nothing I can hear.
When moving the whistle starts at about 2000 rpm and gets louder up to 3000 rpm and then gets lost in the general engine/wind noise. It can't be heard with the windows shut.
I gave it some welly on the 414 Hertford to Hatfield Saturday evening, lovely bit of road, and it has seemed to improve, I've also noticed that it can vary, possibly temperature or incline related.
With it only happening with the engine under load would this point to a turbo problem?
I'd be very grateful if someone can throw some light on this.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Re: Is this injector whistle?

Post by 411514 »

Paul, I havn't been following your issue from the start, so apologies if it has already been covered.
A whistle like as you describe generally does originate from either a boost pipe, or indeed the turbo.
Have you checked the fit of all clips and clamps on the boost hose and the integrity of the hosing itself.
If I am correct yours does not have an intercooler?, which narrows down you choices a bit as front mounted intercoolers in particular can easily pick up holes through stones off the road.
If I was you I would try removing all boost hosing right back to the turbo, examine it for holes and then replace with new clamps.

However it is worth noting that turbo's often do naturally make quite a loud whistling noise although I'm sure you know this already.
Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sounds like a boost leak - can you change the pitch by altering the throttle position slightly? Mine has been doing this for a while - I found the turbo outlet pipe was oily a while back, crunched up the jubilee clips, and the oil has dried up now, but the noise remained. Last weekend I noticed a bit of an oil patch under the IC outlet connection. Tightened this jubilee clip up a bit, and that appears to have cured it - it is currently a bit difficult to tell though, as the exhaust has a hole in it which makes a rushing should when pressing on, and that rather hides any slight turbo whistle! :lol: Must get it off and weld it up again. Due to the pulsing nature of the combustion, I doubt an injector will whistle - more like chuff like a steam train!
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:it is currently a bit difficult to tell though, as the exhaust has a hole in it which makes a rushing should when pressing on, and that rather hides any slight turbo whistle! :lol: Must get it off and weld it up again.
For someone who hates welding exhausts you sure do a lot of it! :mrgreen:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not really - I've been putting it off for about 6 months..... :lol:
Richard W
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks very much for the feedback chaps, all useful stuff, I can now stop worrying about the injector seals and venture into unknown territory with the turbo and associated pipework.
I've had a look in the BOL for a picture but can't find one. If someone could tell me the location of the turbo as a starting point I'd be grateful.
Re the chuff chuff noise Richard, I know exactly that noise, as on 2 occasions no 4 came completely loose suddenly due to a stripped clamp stud, sounded like a blown exhaust.
Is there anything detrimental with this leak, obviously performance will suffer a bit but in terms of fuel consumption engine life and reliability will it affect things if it's not cured?
411544 it does have an intercooler afaik being the 110, thanks, going to have a look now.
Kind regards and wish me luck.
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
(Donor 2017)

Post by 411514 »

isisalar wrote:411544 it does have an intercooler afaik being the 110, thanks, going to have a look now.
Your quite right Paul I was assuming it was a 90. That would make a good candidate to check first. Usually a hole may be identified by oily discharge around it on.

Are you sure that you definetely have a problem and aren't just hearing wind noise or the like. Boost leakages, even small ones normally manifest themselves with pronounced losses in power and often can play havoc with engine management, triggering limp home mode and stuck open wastegates,

Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Sam thanks
It's certainly not wind noise as it happens in 1st and 2nd most noticeably at very low speeds, in third the general wind noise drowns it out as by then probably doing 40+mph.
It's not turbo whine, that's one of the presents my TD gave me a few months before it went, so I'm familiar with that sound.
It could be described as a screech? Bearing failure? Tensioner?
Off for a look.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
(Donor 2017)

Post by 411514 »

It did cross my mind as to whether the noise could be bearing or belt related actually.

I suppose the only way to tell is to get your head under the bonnet.

Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I'd need a very long neck as it's only evident under load, either that or a rolling road.
Having a poke around today I discovered that no. 4 is STILL leaking diesel. Re seating seems to be the best option and is now the priority. Rain stopped play with the leak finding today but I did discover some oil weep around a flange coupling on the right hand side behind the engine. Looks like some dismantling will be necessary to fully investigate, something my back won't like at all.
Is there a diagram or picture on the forum showing whats where re the turbo/intercooler plumbing, this is new ground for me.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white