Xantia Td auxillary worn bearing noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigblackfalco
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDI 2009 230K Miles (current), Citroen Xantia Estate 1.9 TD 1996 SX, Citroen ZX 1.9 TD 1995, Peugeot 604 2.7 V6 STI 1983 (past).

Xantia Td auxillary worn bearing noise

Post by bigblackfalco »

Got a noisey bearing type noise coming from auxillary drive belt area on my S1 Td.
What's the most likely culprit ... what should I be looking for?
Mileage is 175K.
Cheers
58 plate (2009) C5 Tourer 2.0 HDi VTR+
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Td auxillary worn bearing noise

Post by citronut »

firstly look down the belt end of the engine to see if anything looks out of line, ie if the belt is running out of true, or the auto tensioner it kicking of the one side,

although there are several pulley bearings in that area that could be making a noise,

either of the aux belt tensioners, alternator, cam belt tensioners,

without some investigative work its hard to say
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Either a badly worn automatic tensioner (most likely) or a worn eccentric tensioner are good suspects.

Needs to be sorted ASAP as the auxiliary belt can throw itself off and wreak havoc, especially if it gets tangled up with the cambelt.

This tread might help identify and show the job of sorting out the tensioners.

The other potential cause of this issue is the aircon compressor. The clutch bearing can wear and cause this sort of racket. It's easy to tell, slip off the belt and spin the pulley by hand.. Likewise the alternator bearings too... Also, if it's the aircon clutch then engaging it by switching on the aircon will show it by causing the noise to substantially change or disappear.

If it's the aircon then that needs sorting soonest as the next stage is seizure. A short belt can be fitted to bypass the aircon compressor. I can't recall the size now but Xac will as his is so fitted at this time...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If it is the aircon, it might be worth running it for a while. Most car makers recommend running the aircon at least once a week to keep things turning smoothly. I just had Gracies' re-gassed, and this includes some lubricant added to the system.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:If it is the aircon, it might be worth running it for a while.
That came up on Channel 4's 'Superscrimpers' as a tip to save on costly garage bills...

But yes, good tip and run it regularly even in the dead of winter...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bigblackfalco
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDI 2009 230K Miles (current), Citroen Xantia Estate 1.9 TD 1996 SX, Citroen ZX 1.9 TD 1995, Peugeot 604 2.7 V6 STI 1983 (past).

Post by bigblackfalco »

Hmmmmmm .... my air con has never worked since I got the car over 6 years ago. Never run it.
I'll give that a go firstly ... if noise changes, I will be investing in the shorter belt!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If that changes the noise, I would be inclined to get it re-gassed. Including the cleaning option, it cost me £49 to get Gracie re-gassed, and it is now a lot colder. It took about an hour for the process to complete (which checks for leaks, amongst other things).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bigblackfalco

Post by bigblackfalco »

Well that didn't change a thing!
I'm at that point where the car needs a few things doing to it ... and it seems like a good time to call it quits.
It needs a timing belt, radiator (full of holes), one strut top is very 'frilly', the handbrake cables need replacing, there's LHM leak above main front accumulator, the heater matrix is knackered, and there are various leaks where water gets in when it rains ... oh and the tax runs out end of month!
I'll be looking for newer Xantia shortly!
bigblackfalco

Post by bigblackfalco »

CitroJim wrote:Either a badly worn automatic tensioner (most likely) or a worn eccentric tensioner are good suspects.

Needs to be sorted ASAP as the auxiliary belt can throw itself off and wreak havoc, especially if it gets tangled up with the cambelt.

This tread might help identify and show the job of sorting out the tensioners.

The other potential cause of this issue is the aircon compressor. The clutch bearing can wear and cause this sort of racket. It's easy to tell, slip off the belt and spin the pulley by hand.. Likewise the alternator bearings too... Also, if it's the aircon clutch then engaging it by switching on the aircon will show it by causing the noise to substantially change or disappear.

If it's the aircon then that needs sorting soonest as the next stage is seizure. A short belt can be fitted to bypass the aircon compressor. I can't recall the size now but Xac will as his is so fitted at this time...
I think it's the automatic tensioner bearing. The pulley is not running smoothly around it's axis.
It's been progressively getting noiser over the miles, and I've been up to the top of Scotland and back over the past week. That's when it started to sound much noisier.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

bigblackfalco wrote: I think it's the automatic tensioner bearing. The pulley is not running smoothly around it's axis.
It's been progressively getting noiser over the miles, and I've been up to the top of Scotland and back over the past week. That's when it started to sound much noisier.
To be sure, with the engine running, give the eccentric a spray with silicon or light oil, that made mine go silent for a few minutes showing which one was at fault.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
bigblackfalco

Post by bigblackfalco »

Xac wrote:
bigblackfalco wrote: I think it's the automatic tensioner bearing. The pulley is not running smoothly around it's axis.
To be sure, with the engine running, give the eccentric a spray with silicon or light oil, that made mine go silent for a few minutes showing which one was at fault.
Good thinking that man :)
bigblackfalco

Post by bigblackfalco »

Can the needle roller be replaced separately??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bigblackfalco wrote:Can the needle roller be replaced separately??
No, because it will have wrecked the ground shaft and housing :(
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

And the needle roller being duff would stop auto adjustment rather than make a noise.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

also the needle roller bearings are in the pivot arm of the auto tensioner, not the tensioner pulley bearing its self,
is thee auto tensioner running true to the end of the engine,

this doesnt mean your tensioner pulley bearing is not shot as well/or only,

but to replace either they come as one unit
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years