Ball Joints and Lower Controll Arm Bush on the Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sam KS
My Cars:

Ball Joints and Lower Controll Arm Bush on the Xantia

Post by Sam KS »

G'day Peeps,

I need to replace the NS ball joint on the Xantia and have noticed some Cracking on the rear bush on the front control arm bushes, no movement as yet but I'll do them at the same time. I've been having a read and You Tubing how to do Ball Joints on the Xantia. Other than thread on here I had a look at
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(but i do wish Gorden would use a car stand. NEVER trust a jack. I have to sell my boy he has a stand under the car but we just cant see it, he keeps telling me HAS to have one.)

Now for the advice, how do i do the front bush on the control arm? I thought I had might as well do it at the same. Is there any reason GSF sell arms? should i replace the arm for some reason? it all looks good.

Also is there a brand Ball Joint or Bush brand i should avoid or use?

Also special tools required? I see I'll need a Ball Joint Tool http://sostools.com.au/t-and-e-tools-pe ... ocket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but is there any any thine else to look at. I'll be doing this in a mates workshop (having a hoist makes like a lot easier, but mechanics here have no idea on garlic chewing, froggy cars.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Re: Ball Joints and Lower Controll Arm Bush on the Xantia

Post by 411514 »

Sam KS wrote:Also is there a brand Ball Joint or Bush brand i should avoid or use?.
Im not sure what sort of brands you have available to you in your neck of the woods, here though I always try and use lemfoerder parts for aftermarket suspension components. I have has their balljoints on now for over 2 years without problems. Avoid Q-drive like the plague,

Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Ball Joints and Lower Controll Arm Bush on the Xantia

Post by evilally »

As a first step I usually search ebay with the PSA part number, often you can get a new old stock genuine OE item at similar price to pattern parts. If not I usually go for Motaquip as they are a PSA company and parts are generally decent, last set of balljoints I got was £5 a side from a main dealer. For the small amount of extra work I usually just take the strut off and get it in a vice, I don't know if the same applies to the Xantia. If removing the strut you will need a 35mm hub nut socket. Old balljoints can be a challenge, I stick the strut in a vice and use a breaker bar extended with a bit of scaffold, when they crack off it sounds like a gun going off :twisted:

As for lower arm bushes alignment is very important and use good quality parts. If you can get a good deal on a complete arm it saves a bit of work and avoids any alignment issues. Generally garages will not replace bushes as the labour charges end up more than a complete arm.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

On a Citroën, you don't need to remove the driveshaft nut as once the suspension's depressurised you can disconnect the anti-roll bar links and easily push either leg up or down. The balljoint will come out of an Australian car with no heat or removal of hub, just rattle away with the tool locked on tightly until the peening folds back.

I'm extremely happy with my $46 (with postage) Taiwanese balljoint pair from autochassistaiwan - they're doing fine after some serious abuse. In fact, they impressed me sufficiently that I have bought more parts off the same company.

On the Xantia you do need both a press and patience to do the front eye bushes, it's probably easier if you saw or air chisel out the old one than try pressing. My TRW "P" bushes are failing after a year and not that much hard work which is disappointing as TRW are an OEM supplier to PSA and Fiat. I went to a lot of trouble with their alignment, too.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Sam KS »

Thanks for all the advice, happy i have access to a workshop to do this.
addo wrote:.....I'm extremely happy with my $46 (with postage) Taiwanese balljoint pair from autochassistaiwan - ......
Just emailed them to see if they can do bushes as well. It's my P bushes that have some crazy cracking but no movement in them as yet.

I'll also talk to Repco and Burson and see who can do the best deal on the tool for me.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You can get the T&E branded version of the tool for sub $30 off the tool van here.

IIRC the original P-bushes were made by a French company who don't supply to the aftermarket under their own name - not sure if they have another branding as well.
Sam KS
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Sam KS »

addo wrote:You can get the T&E branded version of the tool for sub $30 off the tool van here.

IIRC the original P-bushes were made by a French company who don't supply to the aftermarket under their own name - not sure if they have another branding as well.
Thanks, both Repco and Burson are T&E dealers and i have a few store mangers who owe me some favors. :wink: So time to call one in. I'm not looking for free, just staff discount.