Xantia key

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CFO
My Cars:

Xantia key

Post by CFO »

Hi folks - have been working on the car electrics (now sorted) but lost the registration with the plip during that process. I gather that to reconnect, I need to switch on the ignition with the spare key, and then "fire" the plip at the receiver. The problem is that the spare key will open the doors, but not turn in the ignition. I have had a brand new copy key cut, and it is exactly the same - so I can't go through the reconnection process. Am I missing some special trick, or am I just unlucky with the spare keys?
CFO
Previous Cits - BX, XM, currently running two '96 Xantia automatics
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia key

Post by Mandrake »

Getting a good copy of a Xantia key cut is difficult - some locksmiths can do it but many cannot, or will get it right sometimes and not others.

It uses a 2 dimensional key blank with two sets of tumbler grooves at 90 degrees - I believe the door uses one axis and the ignition uses the other, (or maybe the door uses one and the ignition uses both sets) therefore its easy to end up with a poorly cut copy that can open doors but not ignition, or vica versa!

I've had no luck getting good copies of Xantia keys - 3 different blanks cut for 3 different cars, one of them two attempts, and by 3 different locksmiths - none of them worked reliably!

You're better off just getting a new spare from Citroen who will supply one for a tolerable price (not much more than the cost of a blank and locksmith fee actually) if you give them the VIN of the car and prove ownership.

As to your immediate problem your best bet would be to remove the small screw at the back of the fob and then remove the circuit board as if you were going to change the battery, then put the key section in the ignition and hold the circuit board in the air pointing at the receiver in the ceiling while pressing the button ! :twisted: Try not to touch the circuitry, just hold it by the edges of the board and only touch the button.

Be patient as well, programming the infrared remote can be a bit finicky, sometimes a few attempts are needed. Turn the key on (not auxillary) hold the fob a few inches from the receiver and press one button at least 10 times within about 20 seconds, then turn the ignition off, lock and unlock the door then test it. If it doesn't work try again.
Last edited by Mandrake on 02 May 2013, 20:27, edited 3 times in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Those spares aren't much use to you for anything. I'd try someone else (Mr Minit cut mine perfectly). Explicit sync instructions here (researched, written, tested and then edited).
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Just a note on spare keys, A couple of us have had good experience with carkeyhelp.co.uk on spare keys for the C5 (which also have dual axis) cut from just a digital photo. See here.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've been to two key cutters in London today, both claiming to do automotive keys, both insisting that I need to go to the dealer, one because his computer told him there was a chip in the fob.
I tried explaining that as it's an IR key, no there isn't, and the immobiliser was controlled by a keypad not the key but he insisted it was dealer only!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:I've been to two key cutters in London today, both claiming to do automotive keys, both insisting that I need to go to the dealer, one because his computer told him there was a chip in the fob.
I tried explaining that as it's an IR key, no there isn't, and the immobiliser was controlled by a keypad not the key but he insisted it was dealer only!
What a plonker... He knows best of course. You only own the car.. What do you know :evil: That's the attitude and it bloody annoys me as it's heard and seen all too frequently these days :evil:

Xac, try Brinnick Locksmiths in Newport. he cut a Xantia key for me a while back and it was perfect...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: What a plonker... He knows best of course. You only own the car.. What do you know :evil: That's the attitude and it bloody annoys me as it's heard and seen all too frequently these days :evil:

Xac, try Brinnick Locksmiths in Newport. he cut a Xantia key for me a while back and it was perfect...
Think I will do Jim.
Did they just give you a cut blade to fit in a spare fob, or did it come with the empty fob?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, it was a blank chipped blade I got from the Stealer for fitting to a PLIP. As far as I recall he had blank chipless cruciform Citroen keys in the shop.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CFO
My Cars:

Post by CFO »

Back in May I posted about the problem of getting a blade key to switch on the ignition while I tried to reconnect the plip. Having had no luck with a couple of keys cut by the local expert, I ordered one through my local Citroen garage. This one worked, and when I took it to the key cutting guy to use as a model to tweak the two I got from him previously, they then worked. From this I conclude that my old plip key was worn and didn't give me good copies, whereas the new blade from Citroen did. That's the good news. The bad news is that going through the resynch routine several times following Old-Guy's instructions hasn't succeeded in reconnecting the car with the plip. We haven't done any work on that system, so it should be ok. Anyone any bright ideas for checking it? The central locking itself is ok
CFO
Previous Cits - BX, XM, currently running two '96 Xantia automatics