C5 V6 Timing Belt Conundrum

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

C5 V6 Timing Belt Conundrum

Post by DHallworth »

Started with the timing belt job on the C5 today. Everything pinned nicely, all went in ok.

Followed the process to get the old belt off, everything seemed to be going nice and smoothly to this point.

The instructions state to back the 4 bolts on each camshaft pulley off 1/4 a turn and turn them all fully clockwise. The inlet camshaft on the back bank, the one with the VVT gubbins on the end of it appears to be seized. I cannot get it to rotate at all. Have tried gentle persuasion with a plastic hammer to no avail.

Anybody got any suggestions?

I've also noticed that all of the pins I've got locking the cams have gone as tight as gawd knows what after taking the belt off. I don't remember the XM ones doing that with I changed the belt on that though :?

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: C5 V6 Timing Belt Conundrum

Post by CitroJim »

Can't help with the VVT bits David but..
DHallworth wrote: I've also noticed that all of the pins I've got locking the cams have gone as tight as gawd knows what after taking the belt off. I don't remember the XM ones doing that with I changed the belt on that though :?
Yep, that happens and it's because the cams move a bit due to partially open valves pushing on the cam lobes and rotating it a bit. Nothing to worry about, just gently rotate the cam in question a little to be able to pull the pins out...

You know the trick of removing the valley roller to enable the new belt to be fitted more easily? Get the belt on and then refit the valley roller afterward...

It's a good idea to recheck the timing after a few rotations of the engine. You may find it's a tad out and needs a slight tweak on the verniers...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

David,

Sorry if I'm completely off base here: from what I can see in the document it's that they turn freely, not fully. I only really noticed because, when I was looking around to see if I could find someone with a similar issue, which I couldn't, but I found a video (how's your french?) of the cambelt being changed on (ES9J4 though), and I believe, at 6:20-6:30, is showing what it means from the document:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW: did you need to remove the LDS cylinder or did you get away with just the coolant one?

Hope this helps

Ben
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Got away with just the coolant bottle Ben. It's been fiddly but not to bad a job to get down to here.

The vernier adjuster type thing on my rear bank inlet cam is solid, it won't rotate at all with the 4 little bolts undone whereas the front one easily rocks back and forth for the length of the slot in the pulley.

Anybody know how to remove the sprocket from the camshaft? I still can't get my SEDRE discs to work unfortunately.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, counterhold the cam hub and undo the centre bolt David. Be aware it is done up biblically tight!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

That's on a normal pulley Jim, unfortunately this is the one with the VVT stuff hanging off the end of it :(

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh sorry David... Sounds like the VVT has seized.. Be interesting to see why...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

On service.citroen looks like there is plug in the centre of the variator (it says hex headed, not clear if it is screwed in or not), then under that is an 'E' headed bolt screwed into the camshaft.

PS be careful with it - it's obviously made of unobtanium with a few hen's teeth rolled in, as Citroen want £480 for a new one :shock: #-o
Richard W
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Hi David,

Will PM you with the camshaft removal document (and the dismantling one)... unfortunately, it's very light on information about removing the relevant bits, so not sure how much of a help they'd be.

Ben
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Thanks for your help guys.

Have managed to get the pulley moving. A careful squirt of WD40 round it, a softheaded hammer and a piece of wood to protect the pulley have it moving just as well as any of the others now.

Panic over!

Hopefully today I can get the belt back on and sorted. Just annoying that one of the coolant pipes I need have gone on back order from Citroen :(

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

The belts on, the tension is set, all the pins are coming in and out of the cams without issue now after many rotations of the engine.

Just got to put it all back together now.

Was hoping the top hose I had on order would of been in stock today so I can give it a run but no such luck :(

Davud,
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Nice one David =D> =D> =D>

How long did it take in total, without the Forum Breaks? :lol:
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Ben,

Without breaks I don't really know. I've put all the covers back on, mount is back on, just need to fit the new radiator to it after dinner and see if it'll start! **fingers crossed!!**

A pal of mine asked me when he visited today what it would of cost at the dealer... I didn't really know so I phoned Glasgow Citroen. They said they'd supply and fit a timing belt including tensioner for £345 inc VAT!!!! :shock: :shock:

If I'd of known that I'd of sent it in there!

I've got an email with the prices in it so if anybody wants to book a V6 in for changing let me know and I'll forward you the quote!

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

That would be citroens fixed price service in the uk. Bet they hate people who come in with V6s for it! It would be interesting to know whether they honour it for foreign cars as it would have been slightly cheaper for me to drive to the uk and back with getting it done whilst in the uk.

Knowing what I know now, I'll most likely tackle it myself next time. :)

BTW what did you use to support the engine whilst the mount was removed?
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Well, the belts done and I had the car running for 30 seconds and it was sweet as a nut.

Didn't want to run it any longer as there's no coolant in it.

We've got a crane that runs over the 4 post ramp in the workshop that I used this time after taking the bonnet off. Other times I've used a jack with a piece of wood on it under the sump and I've also used a Clarke engine crane before as well.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel