Can anyone explain why my Xantia does this?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mirafioriman

Can anyone explain why my Xantia does this?

Post by mirafioriman »

I have an early Xantia 1.9d. It's a sinker. When I start the car in the mornings in cold or frosty weather the stop light takes a while to go out. The colder it is the longer it seems to take :roll:

Now the weather is warmer, the stop light is going out within two or three seconds when I start up in the mornings.

Can anyone suggest possible reasons why this happens?
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Can anyone explain why my Xantia does this?

Post by Mandrake »

Different thermal expansion coefficients changing leakage rates with temperature ? For example the rear suspension has steel pistons in alloy cylinders, so the clearance will change slightly with temperature. The more pressure leaks away from the suspension over night the more work the pump has to do to return to the status quo. Leakage rates of sinkers (including all pre Xantia models) are notoriously fickle with no obvious reason why they might sink quickly one day and slowly another...

Inlet hose from the tank to the HP pump leaking air in slightly when cold and stiff/brittle but not when warm and pliable ? The pump may be loosing its prime when cold and taking a few extra seconds of sucking on air to prime itself...but in warm weather the joint at the end of the hose may seal better and not let the pump lose its priming.

I noticed the vacuum line from the manifold to fuel pressure regulator on my Xantia is so hard and stiff when cold that you can't bend it, but as soon as it has been warmed up by the engine for a few minutes its soft and pliable even though it doesn't feel particularly warm... :roll:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Although LHM is a fairly thin oil, maybe it's a little thicker when very cold, and doesn't flow so well on start up, slowing down the pressure build up?

In the very cold weather, does the engine run more slowly to start with, due to the extra load that's been put on it by the alternator? Lower revs = longer time for hydraulics pump to build up the pressure
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Thanks for the ideas so far. The difference in time is so large though I doubt it is the ideas above. At the moment the stop light goes out within a couple of seconds. In the really cold, frosty weather it sometimes took up to 30 seconds for the stop light to go out!
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

We know that cold weather can cause Activated rams to leak so it could be possible that the cold weather can make the rear struts leak internally if the inner piston shrinks enough.
This would delay the build up of system pressure wouldn't it?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I have had this on all my Xantias and it seems to be more prevalent the older the LHM is, and the LHM certainly thins out as it gets warmer with use. The LHM also seems to expand with temperature. I had the situation once where the level was just on the borderline of activating the low level warning light, never any indication on level ground, but on frosty mornings at exactly the same place, on a hill about 1/2 mile from home the light would flicker on for a second or two, never to be seen again that day, even in the same spot.
When the LHM is very old and the filters are clogged the power steering can take a while to get itself out of bed too.
Kind regards
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)