Xantia brake "lag"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lankytim
My Cars:

Xantia brake "lag"

Post by lankytim »

Hi,

My "newly-returned-to-the-road" Xantia HDi has a peculiar quirk with the brakes. When releasing my foot from the pedal there seems to be a momentary lag before the brakes release. Is this typical of Xantias or is my braking system on the blink?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia brake "lag"

Post by CitroJim »

Tim, its always worth giving the brakes a good bleed. Air in them can affect them in strange ways and unlike air in a conventional system.

Normally though air causes a delay rather than holding them on but given how strange things can happen, bleeding must be the first task to do in looking at this issue.

Other causes can be binding callipers, maladjusted or seized parking brake cables or a problem in the dosuer valve not allowing brake pressure to release. That is very rare though and unlikely. Deteriorated flexi-hoses could also be the cause.

I'd start by bleeding and whilst bleeding check all the above as well, paying particular attention to the parking brake cables and binding callipers.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

The one handbrake was binding but a quick lubrication workout session seems to have it cured. I'll have to look up bleeding Xantia brakes as I hear there is a knack to it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No knack Tim, it's actually a lot easier than a conventional car. Nipples rarely seize and it truly can be done by one person with nothing more fancy than a broom handle...

It's all in this sticky thread...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

Sounds pretty straight forward!

on another note... daft question time, how to I check the level of the LHM fluid?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lankytim wrote: on another note... daft question time, how to I check the level of the LHM fluid?
Set the suspension to high, allow to settle for a minute or so and check the little orange 'Coolie Hat' in the LHM reservoir sight glass is between the two red rings.

The level can only be checked on high and on level ground. On normal height setting the level will always look far too high...
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:
lankytim wrote: on another note... daft question time, how to I check the level of the LHM fluid?
Set the suspension to high, allow to settle for a minute or so and check the little orange 'Coolie Hat' in the LHM reservoir sight glass is between the two red rings.
It might be obvious to us old hands, but its worth pointing out the engine needs to be running for this. :) Also I would suggest leaving it on high with the engine running for 3-4 minutes, 1 minute isn't nearly enough for mine to give the correct reading, probably because the rear height corrector linkage is a bit restricted in its movement thus takes a lot longer to fully pressurise than it should.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good points well made Simon :-D Us oldies do forget what to us is patently obvious at times!!!
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ou less of the old,
i have only just reached bus pass maturity :shock: :-D :roll: :wink:

spoz now i can officially have senior moments and be a dirty old man/git
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years