Advice on oil/filter for Xantia V6 ? / Noisy tappets.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Advice on oil/filter for Xantia V6 ? / Noisy tappets.

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote:So if you fill the engine with LT it should really clean things up!
Yes!!! A flushing oil par excellence!

Simon, I'd not worry about the oil you plan to use... I've been using Costco's 10W-40 universal fleet oil in everything for years and I know others that have too with absolutely no ill effects at all... Just change it frequently and all is good.

In my humble there's a lot of bollocks spoken about oil. Especially for use in a 15 year old engine...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I have to say that I've always used fully synthetic oil in whatever vehicle I'm using and usually change it at more frequent intervals than those recommended. Whether this is wise or a waste of money I can't say but I've never had any problems with engines due to improper lubrication. I think that it is more down to frequent changes rather than ultimate oil quality but I like to look after my vehicles so do the best I can to make them last.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Argh, my oil filter just arrived and it is not as advertised :evil:

Here was the listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350535794807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It clearly shows an 1109AK with genuine packaging in the photo, but here is what arrived:

An 1109.S7, with a hastily crossed out number on the box!

Does anyone know what the difference is and whether I should be sending it back ? I know that people sometimes supply the smaller filter instead of the larger one for the V6, if this is the smaller one I don't want it, as I have the correct type on at the moment...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hmm according to the Purflux website LS880A is in fact their recommended filter for the 3.0 V6, and is 13mm longer than the LS867B listed for all other Xantias. So I might have been fretting over nothing. :oops:

It will be interesting to see what the code is on the filter on the car, perhaps the one on there now is the wrong one, or is slightly different but equivalent...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Mandrake wrote:Hmm according to the Purflux website LS880A is in fact their recommended filter for the 3.0 V6, and is 13mm longer than the LS867B listed for all other Xantias. So I might have been fretting over nothing. :oops:

It will be interesting to see what the code is on the filter on the car, perhaps the one on there now is the wrong one, or is slightly different but equivalent...
Depending on manufacturer they come in all sorts of various sizes. As long as they are the recommended types with appropriate flow rate and bypass pressure they will do the job. I'm always amazed at the size of the filter on my Kangoo when I change it. It's more like a motorbike filter!
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's the right filter Simon :-D You were definitely fretting over nothing. In fact the batch i ought were the same..

The important thing is not to use the little tiddler used on all other Xantias even though they do fit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:The important thing is not to use the little tiddler used on all other Xantias even though they do fit...
The filter that was on the car when I got it was one of the little tiddlers :evil: The one that's on there now that I fitted in June is quite a bit bigger in both dimensions, and it looks like this one I've just got will be the same.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:That's the right filter Simon :-D You were definitely fretting over nothing. In fact the batch i ought were the same..

The important thing is not to use the little tiddler used on all other Xantias even though they do fit...
Girl, just change it more
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Chris570 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:That's the right filter Simon :-D You were definitely fretting over nothing. In fact the batch i ought were the same..

Flow rate ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Mandrake wrote:
Chris570 wrote:

Flow rate ?
Never had a problem on my ES9's
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A filter like that has to be physically suffering a massive blockage before it impacts on the ability to lubricate as required. There are greater potential losses in the oil pump gears.

You could possibly assume a running clearance of 1.5 thou on all rotating/sliding surfaces except cam lobes. That way, the bearing dimensions would allow you to work out how much oil is held in each journal/bore (it's bugger-all). Bench testing an oil pump with restrictors to give working pressure, would reveal how long it takes to completely supply this volume/pressure of oil as calculated. I think you'll find a very comfortable margin.

But before bench testing oil pumps I would be swapping the ECU/CPH for a test run...