MK1 1.9TD est 96-97.not rising to the occasion?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

MK1 1.9TD est 96-97.not rising to the occasion?

Post by oscar »

Hi my Zanty the front suspension isn't rising properly noticed that front was sitting low/sunk etc then when started didnt rise unless i pulled lever back then if reset stayed up or dropped to bottom if i moved lever to bottom.
Could that be the plastic link died/disappeared maybe from humps in road as where festioned with the things.as didnt get a bang when coming home other night which seemed an odd one.
Back seems ok well comes up etc.

The other things is now that the drivers door has gone into deadlock so can't open from out or inside kept hearing deadlock even when locking on fob where as normally get when hold key to lock.
As wondered if it was deadlocking so had window open tried fob then see if opened from inside but then it decided it didnt want to play no more.
What i did have other week was it kept locking/unlocking while driving if i pulled tab up or if you opened and shut door would do for while till it realised? i wasn't going to play so stopped. but if you got out say opened boot then it would lock before you had time to open boot up. Spoke to spares place he say's drivers door lock is U/S but how do i get door open as can't really get panel off as seats in the way plus no room. He did say the break lock.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: MK1 1.9TD est 96-97.not rising to the occasion?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The most likely cause for the deadlock is that wires have failed, probably in the rubber sleeve between the door and the wing. I had something similar on Gracie, but on the rear doors so I could get into the wiring. The problem you will have is getting into the wiring.

With the height issue, I would get her on high, get her supported on axle stands (you are going to get underneath her, and with dodgy hydraulics you need to protect yourself), and have a very good look at the height adjustor (I believe it is mounted on the rear of the subframe). I know that an expert will come along and tell you what to look for; I can't as I have yet to work on this. However, I do know that the height corrector can get dirty (road grime) and this can cause problems. It might be possible to clean and grease the height corrector in situ, and it might help with your problem.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

As James says, if the maunal lever is working but the automatic isn't, then the dog bone has most likely popped off between the anti roll bar and the height corrector.
If it has, before you pop it back on, check that the linkage between it and the height corrector is easy to move, if not it will just pop off again, so lube it all up.
With age the cups on the dog bone can crack or wear enough to not fit tightly so a new one might be needed, and they don't cost much.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi many thanks guys.What they said with lock was he reckons the door mech fails then does that so they break into the lock so have to replace with another as mech that works it all is there? but door loom makes sense as well.
Will have a look maybe tomorrow at link thing etc and let you know.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

It's also possible that the actuating arm that clamps to the anti-roll bar (ARB) has lost its ball :( or broken off the clamp. For what it costs, if the dog-bone has popped off, I'd fit a new one as yours is now a brittle teenager.

Link to red_dwarfers's guide to overhauling the front corrector

Link to Drawings of both height correctors and lots more.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi thanks for that Old-Guy.
I was thinking(it hurts)if it was height adjuster stuck/seized etc would that have made it sink on it's own when switched off overnight?
Plus does go up and down min to max but won't settle on normal and no response with lever put in normal height.but going to get a new Bonio for it anyway before start messing with it.

The thing with the the door also was before that when you unlocked on fob like when you need to open boot that it would immediately lock again before you could open it so could that be door/central locking actuator rather than the loom by door hinges?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When you use the fob, can you feel (or hear) the driver lock triggering? If yes, I wonder if you could time it to use the fob and open the door quickly enough to beat it deadlocking again?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
oscar

Post by oscar »

No that was on tailgate i had that but it had got fed up playing that i as beat it(bit like a game mmm lets see how i can mess you about today?)lol
But the weird thing was it was deadlocking with the fob as never norm did that i always lock on the key and hold for it to deadlock when leaving it.
But no feel on the key either when trying that but tab pops up when doing on fob or unlock from passenger side.
Tin opener to the rescue?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Have you sorted out the tailgate lock? I had a similar issue with Gracie, but it cleared itself. I investigated, and found that the lock system is very simple. What you have is a sleeve that is mounted around the push button. In the 'open' position this allows the button to engage the latch mechanism, while in the 'lock' position the button misses that latch. If there is enough dirt then the sleeve does not move, and will either not lock or unlock, depending on where it has become stuck.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi Hell razor there isn't a problem as far i know with tail gate it was just one of the doors i used and said how it did it but i was doing with others from what i remember but only really use d door and tailgate.
oscar

Post by oscar »

Well the lock is sorted out now it was part of it had broke the plastic top of slider it was where the pin had been hitting it from when door dropped before welded hinge back on plus once unlocked loom from lock it opened.

the plastic bonio had popped off from height adjuster end got a new one and working now(for those that don't know? bonio was a dog bone made from???)