Forum Meeting????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Forum Meeting????

Post by Jon »

At the risk of sounding rather like the "Honest John" Forums.
How about a get together sometime??
I'm in Swindon or Heathrow, Dave Burns is in Derbyshire, Dave Bamber near Blackpool, Dave Black ("Interwired") in Somerset, AlanS in Queensland (AUS) that rules him out (same goes for Nisk, Sweden; Anders is in Denmark, etc etc).
Anyway, for the UK based members, maybe a meet somewhere central like the Midlands or something[?] this would obviously require a great deal of planning and local knowledge and a pub or something, are there any ready volunteers??
Don't all rush. [8)]
Seriously, if anyone wants this to happen, get on touch with me jon.wood@gsfcarparts.com and I'll try and provide whatever help and assistance that I can.
Then again....
Jon

Post by Jon »

PS I just realised that this brings me over 800 posts. A long way behind Alans and Dave Burns I know. I have to try and make the effort though.
Your long suffering Administrator.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Anyone wants to sponsor a trip from DK to midlands [:D][:D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Um, well I'll try my very best Anders.
Look on the bright side, at least I could collect you from London Heathrow and drive you to the meet in a Citroen!![:p]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Um, well I'll try my very best Anders.
Look on the bright side, at least I could collect you from London Heathrow and drive you to the meet in a Citroen!![:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yer all 'art Jon......<b>all bloody 'art !!</b> [}:)][;)]
Alan S [:D][:o)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

I extend the offer to you Alan.
I was actually thinking of jumping the plane from Heathrow over to Aus, and you collect me in the BX 16v.
Sounds good to me.
Of course we can arrange flight and details nearer the time.
Went to a meeting today just on Heathrow about webhosting. Not only did they give me a Tee shirt "God gave us Linux to run Web Servers" they also gave me an invitation to drink free champagne outside their place next week when we watch Concorde do its final takeoff.I'm up for that one so will take some pics.
Shame it does not fly down your way though!!![|)]
Once I have consumed the free champagne, I will of course take some pics of Concorde, what a beautiful bird it is.
Maybe I'll start an aircraft Forum, from the first Jet,anyone want to talk COMET with me??
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Maybe I'll start an aircraft Forum, from the first Jet,anyone want to talk COMET with me??<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
British innovation at its best, but unfortunately flawed. Even without the fatigue issues, it did well to last into the 1980's, given that it was essentially a straight-winged old fashioned airliner.
Now, the Vulcan and the Lightning...those were some great planes [:p]
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

This is a very usefull jet engine http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Pics of the final takeoff and champers- lucky fellow. When you ask for a whisky on Concorde, you are brought enough 18 year old Glenfiddich to drown a small child.
As it was the fastest scheduled ride you could buy a ticket for, I did so on the day that I heard the bad news and flew back from New York in May. I am very glad I did. It is a sad time for the pride of the engineering classes, both here and in France, although they don't revere it as we do. I remember the Mall falling silent last year as she flew over, leading the Red Arrows and half a million people breaking into spontaneous applause as she climbed out. There'll be a tear in the eye on Friday.
Back on topic, I think a meet is a good idea. DLM and I meet up over a pint from time to time and swap yarns and bits. With a little organisation and a webcam, maybe some of our foreign correspondents could join in.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Good idea. It would be nice to put some faces to the names.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I was at Farnborough the year they flew a Vulcan with two of the future Concorde's Olympus engines strapped under her belly - when she did a vertical climb from the end of the runway - it made the wing of six Lightnings that had done the same trick a few minutes earlier look like a sunday school outing!
//NiSk
p.s. If you're having the pow-wow anytime around Xmas, I might be around . . .
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Erm what happened to the original idea of a meet? I would be up for a meeting and can give anyone a lift as long as its not too far away.. Say 30 mile radius of Manchester?.. And of course anyone who lives en route down the M6-M5. They could leave their car at an Mway services and pick it up on the way back?
Sorry Anders much as I would love to visit, you are a bit outside the 30 mile limit. [V] But I would collect you from Manchester airport if thats any help? at least it offers another travel option. :-) Alans.. hmmm Aust is a lonnggg way!! not sure I could drive to Australia and be back by summer? [:I]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Damn good idea, Im up for it!!!!!!!
BUT.... Aren't all citroeny types beardy ugly buggers......Well I am anyway.
T-shirts and Stickers seem a good idea but I might just be getting carried away[:D]
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Sl4yer - I think you'll find that Comets lasted much longer than the 80's. They were bought back from the airlines around the world and with a bit of panel beating and the odd extra panel converted into Nimrods - which are still flying and the envy of many an airforce around the world. Most defence initiatives ask the question "can we modify a comet to do this" (in the case of the Tornado - code name 'MRCA' - generally believed to signify "must refurbish comets again!" rather than "multi role combat aircraft".
BTW worked on both the Vulcan and the Lightning - been there, done that!
Jon

Post by Jon »

OK, this one went well off topic in the first place (and that was my fault entirely, must have been the free champagne that day?).
I am going to move this thread this to "General Chat". It really needs to be split into 2 topics "Forum Meeting" and "Comet". I thought that the Forum meeting was a good idea, as ever with so many people in different parts of the UK (plus Europe and Aus) things get a bit complicated. I'll leave this topic on Citroen for tonight so that it gets more exposure re the original post. What I'm actually getting at here is that I need someone to organise it for me....
I don't really mind hwre it is, the fact that I live in Swindon, work in Birmingham and spend most weekends in Gerrards Cross makes me pretty flexible in that regard though.