Saxo throttle cable failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Saxo throttle cable failure

Post by isisalar »

Wife popped up to the shops this afternoon and worryingly 5 mins later the phone rings, 'Ive broken down the throttle pedal has fallen to the floor'. 'Throttle cable has snapped' I said amongst a few other choice words and went to investigate.
Sure enough the cable had fractured at the very end leaving about 1/8th" inside (across) a small brass threaded cylinder located in the throttle body bit the cable sits in, with a small bolt to trap the cable in place. After much consternation and trying to thread the rapidly unraveling cable into the hole it became clear that this brass cylinder could be removed but even after clearing all the debris there was no way that the cable was ever going back in that hole. I had all my work tools with me so out came the cordless drill and a pair of pliers, enlarged the hole up to 3mm, in with the cable, tightened up the bolt, slipped the cylinder into the throttle body, replaced the cable retaining clip and the jobs done.
I suspect that these 'cylinders' are fixed on at the factory because I would say the original hole would be about 1.5mm and the cable is at least 2.5mm relaxed so would need some sort of treatment to fix on.
It made a nice change to have a repair go well for a change, fingers crossed.
I hope that this post might help someone who finds themselves in a similar situation.
Kind regards
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)