03 C5....misting on a front shock, is that it

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

03 C5....misting on a front shock, is that it

Post by stu9 »

Fkd.....that's what's on the current mot, it was an advisory but this time might be a fail....I priced one from GSF £333 :shock: ....so £666 if it's a pair :shock: :shock: , and the 2 back one's are a dealer part so god knows what they'll be. So I guess if I need front shocks (even one) that's my days with a C5 well and truly over
citronut
My Cars:

Re: 03 C5....misting on a front shock, is that it

Post by citronut »

that price is because they only list the fronts with the strut top and leg as one unit,

and without checking all models the first rear one on the list is £153.02 INC VAT trade

at least on all the MK1's that is,

cant you find good second hand struts
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

stu9 wrote:Fkd.....that's what's on the current mot, it was an advisory but this time might be a fail....I priced one from GSF £333 :shock: ....so £666 if it's a pair :shock: :shock: , and the 2 back one's are a dealer part so god knows what they'll be. So I guess if I need front shocks (even one) that's my days with a C5 well and truly over
I thought "they all do that sir"..

The trick, apparently, is to wipe the strut clean before MOT time. It'll have been doing it for years. Don't worry about it. Just wipe it clean before you take it for it's test.
stu9

Post by stu9 »

The guy before didnt do that then if that's the case, I had a look earlier (lifted the boot up) and it's dry but also went to see the guy mot's the bikes and cars, he said they're fine too, and said I should be able to get an insert of some kind and I shouldnt need to buy whole thing. he said as you said ie wipe it beforehand, he also said (and laughed) if a tester cant tell the diffirence between oil and rain/dampness he should chuck it :mrgreen:

Honestly though....if the shocks are alot dearer than conventional's, it's still game over for C5s for me, it's not worth it
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Just wipe it, it'll be fine and last forever. I've not heard of any being replaced. I've heard of lots being wiped..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

stu9 wrote:The guy before didnt do that then if that's the case, I had a look earlier (lifted the boot up) and it's dry but also went to see the guy mot's the bikes and cars, he said they're fine too, and said I should be able to get an insert of some kind and I shouldnt need to buy whole thing. he said as you said ie wipe it beforehand, he also said (and laughed) if a tester cant tell the diffirence between oil and rain/dampness he should chuck it :mrgreen:

Honestly though....if the shocks are alot dearer than conventional's, it's still game over for C5s for me, it's not worth it
citroen hydraulic struts/rams are not the same as a conventional shocker, and no you cant buy or fit an insert,
citroen dont even list seal kits for the C5's,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Northern_Mike wrote:Just wipe it, it'll be fine and last forever. I've not heard of any being replaced. I've heard of lots being wiped..
Yes - I got an advisory last year about the struts starting to leak. I'd forgotten to wipe them. But not this time. I wiped them last week and this morning I came away with a new certificate. Not a mention of leaks.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
stu9

Post by stu9 »

citronut wrote:citroen hydraulic struts/rams are not the same as a conventional shocker, and no you cant buy or fit an insert,
And that's why I'll be selling, someone else can take the expense when it happens
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

stu9 wrote:
citronut wrote:citroen hydraulic struts/rams are not the same as a conventional shocker, and no you cant buy or fit an insert,
And that's why I'll be selling, someone else can take the expense when it happens
Someone on here fixed a leaking C5 ram for around £35 and it wasn't a difficult job.
Can't remember who or where he bought the kit of seals.