ABS Light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sidog70
My Cars:

ABS Light

Post by sidog70 »

After getting the electrics to fuse box renewed and £230 lighter, when car came back has now got ABS light on dash on all the time...
Any ideas guys ???????
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If the light stays on all the time, it points to a fault with Ecu. But if all was OK with the ABS before you had the electrical work done, I would think that you should hand the problem back to your mechanic.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

John - I don't agree with you. If the ABS light stays on it is an indication of a fault that can be detected while the car is stationary, if it comes on when the car is moving it is an indication of a fault that can be detected when the car is moving - ie a poor output from a sensor, intermittent fault, wrongly positioned sensor etc.
When the light fails to go out it is usually an indication that one or more sensors has failed and when the ECU does its continuity check one fails.
I don't know how a Xantia ia wired but on a BX the sensor leads join the leads to the ECU in a plug on or near the bulkhead on each side. I expect a Xantia is similar and I expect one of these connectors has been parted during the work. I suggest you try and trace the wire from each hub and see where it goes and if you can find the connectors.
There are loads of postings here on the subject of testing sensors etc on here.
jeremy
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

First thing to check (IMHO) are the 4 sensors and their wiring. Its possible one of them is duff. Only if all 4 are perfect should you move on to things like the ECU.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

If the problem has appeared AFTER the work was done, then I suspect your mechanic needs to correct his work. This sort of thing happends all the time, as we're only human. A reasonable garage will take it back and have a good look to see if anything has been forgotten.
Other than that, just double check that the ECU has been reconnected. He may have disconnected it whilst checking the loom, as they are fregile at times (as I know only too well!) It is situated above the battery under a plasic cover. The connection is via a multi pin connector that uses a clamping arrangement.
It may be a good idea to disconnect the battery when you remake the connection.
All the best!
Hugo