C5 2.2hdi air system engine and brakes ?????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

C5 2.2hdi air system engine and brakes ?????

Post by waynedance »

Ok another 2.2 mk1 question.

Now firstly engine seems to have plenty of power but does seem to slightly hold back.

When starting engine after being left for a while you need to give plenty of acceleration and the engine will not give full revs for about a minute or two, as if air is being built up.

Also when starting from cold and the first or second press of the brakes the pedal will sometimes creep down, are all these problems related or am I barking up the wrong tree.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
RustyUK
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 Hdi Saloon
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)
Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 (for sale...)

Re: C5 2.2hdi air system engine and brakes ?????

Post by RustyUK »

When I first got my 2.2 MK1 (5 or 6 years ago) the accelerator cable had stretched. Fixing that made an enormous difference, something simple worth investigating perhaps.

Brake pedal not sure, leaky master cylinder? The brake vacuum is derived from a pump on the end of the camshaft, the vacuum also controls via electrovalves the turbo boost, EGR, swirl valve and heating or cooling of air (butterfly valves block the cool air to admit heated air during DPF regen). I don't know if weak vacuum can cause pedal drop, but perhaps worth checking the vacuum hoses for leaks too (although lack of vacuum will soon cause a turbo overboost fault, it'll throw it into limp-home mode but you'll get an antipollution fault flash up, anything that awry should be obvious).