Hdi injector seals and whistling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Hdi injector seals and whistling

Post by isisalar »

Thanks to the good advice from the forum I set about removing my injectors last Sunday, the fire washer on no.3 had gone and diesel was leaking. I'd got as far removing no.3 and loosening no.4 when I stupidly broke the fuel filter housing so had to abandon the injector program and concentrate on repairing the housing and getting the car mobile. I put on the new no.3 washer and tightened up no.3&4, after a short run it became apparant that no.4 wasn't seated correctly so that was re tightened and all has been well since.
I now want to complete the job (I'll probably remove the filter housing lid). I didn't even get as far as looking at the washer seats so what I would like to know is what's the best way/stuff to clean them up and how critical is it. It must affect the compression if the seal is not good. Do I need to rig up a vacuum cleaner to prevent debris going into the cylinders?
When re tightening the clamp nuts to 30NM is this with the engine hot or cold?
Before replacing the washer there was a whistle/whine at 2-3000rpm which reduced considerably. It's still there a bit though and I think it disappears when hot. It only happens when driving, revving up to 3000rpm when stationary no whistle. Could this indicate a noisy turbo?
Will I be able to re use the washer on no.3?
Thanks
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Hdi injector seals and whistling

Post by KennyW »

Fit new fire washers and tighten to 30 NM cold. I would clean around the injectors but not the injectors themselves.
A relatively easy job to do.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.