C5 2.2HDi (2002)"Antipolution Fault"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kentc5
My Cars:

C5 2.2HDi (2002)"Antipolution Fault"

Post by kentc5 »

Hello Guys,

Well it had to happen sooner or later I guess... today the Anti-Polution fault has come on, along with the service lighe, engine management light and ABS light ....
Christmas tree??
lol
It did not seem to be on limp mode.
Once I switched off the engine, the ABS light did not come on again ... so now the EML, Service and Anti-Polution Fault are still on.
When the car is cold, seems to idle around 1000rpm and makes more diesely... clanking noise than normal.
In general the car seems to make more clanking noise than normal, sounds more like a 2.0HDi rather than the 2.2HDi smooth operation.

I do not know if it matters but the temperature sender (temperature gauge) has been playing up for some time now... there are times it reads Coolant Temp too high for a few seconds needle moves about and then goes back to normal operation.
But I assume that is not relevant?

I assume the problem lies with the EGR Valves?(Swirles)??? however they are called for this car?
or
FAP Filter?
or
MAF Sensor?

I would not think it would be Eolys as it did not come up as Additive warning...? (it has come in the past for a split second ( a few months back) but ... went away after a few minutes.) that was with the fuel door warning.

Any advice is welcome guys as I do use the car a lot for long journey's. It now has 95.000miles.

Cheers
Vasilis
Last edited by kentc5 on 15 Apr 2013, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
kentc5
My Cars:

Re: 2.2HDi "Antipolution Fault"

Post by kentc5 »

I forgot to say, I took the car for a run about 5 miles .... and kept it over 3000rpm all the way there and back.
It did smell a bit when I stopped and switched off the engine, like burned paint ... kinda, and the engine fan was running.
I think I will do it tomorrow again for longer distance and add a FAP cleaner in the fuel tank... see if it will do sonething
Current Cars:
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: C5 2.2HDi (2002)"Antipolution Fault"

Post by Ben82 »

Christmas tree syndrome seems to generally be indicative of impending failure of the battery. After all, it's not likely you have a problem with the ABS and an Anti Pollution Fault, as the two systems are very much unrelated.

Nevertheless, hooking it up to a lexia to pull out more information would be the next step, if you don't have one, then you seem to have two choices of Duracell (Ashford) and h20cooler (Medway).
This will narrow down what the Anti Pollution Fault is about, and why the ABS light is on. Can also go for a drive with it plugged in to monitor the coolant temperature, so you can hopefully narrow it down to either a sensor or thermostat issue.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

I forgot about the battery ... :(

Although I have read a few posts online other people having the same problem Anti-polution fault and ABS light coming up the same time. And then once the car switched off and on again the ABS goes away leaving behind the Service - EML and Anti-polution fault as it did with me too.

But most posts are not inspiring as it seems they have spent hundrends of monies ... and got no where. But no mention about battery...

I think I will take it off the car and plug it on my charger and see what it says.
Current Cars:
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

Well .... must have heard my thoughts and got scared and got away lol ....
went outside, started the car to lower the suspension in order to remove the battery.
And surely enough the fault was not there anymore. The car is running fine with no lights at all.!! lol
oh well... better be happy.
Still though I will go and buy the DPF / FAP /EGR Cleaner you add in the diesel and hope it will clean something.
Current Cars:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I would say battery too, it really doesnt take much of a failing battery to upset a C5, forcing it to do strange things. Check the voltage and go from there :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

kentc5 wrote:Well .... must have heard my thoughts and got scared and got away lol ....
went outside, started the car to lower the suspension in order to remove the battery.
And surely enough the fault was not there anymore. The car is running fine with no lights at all.!! lol
oh well... better be happy.
Still though I will go and buy the DPF / FAP /EGR Cleaner you add in the diesel and hope it will clean something.
Give it a week if it's still gone then I would say you may be out of the woods... my battery checked out fine for the most part (random service light, random messages on the dash, sometimes the speedo/tacho would not work, but the car always started, lexia would not give any indication as to why the service light was on etc), until one day after driving it for 30+ mins, and parking at Citroen to get some license plate lamp bits, it would not start the car..
Paid a premium for CItroen to replace the battery (thinking they'd follow the BSI reset process, which they didn't)... Since then all those issues had gone away, just had a weird rare random one, which hopefully doing the BSI reset yesterday has now sorted.

Lexia would be the best bet to find out if the issues are real ones, or just a result of a dying battery.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

OK .... after monitoring .... it came up two more times since...
also airbag fault came up too
dials gonne crazy ... too
getting some random beeps and no message appears (sorting it self out) before it displays anything.

I am 50% convinced it is the battery ...
but 50% ... maybe to the Alternator??? once I start the car the "charge" gauge on the dash does not shoot up to the 3/4 of the display. It slowly goes up within 10sec? ... is that normal? In other cars I had previously with Voltage gauge it would go up instantly when I start the car. I do not want to change the battery ... only to find out the alternator is at fault :(

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Vasilis.
Current Cars:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would be inclined to check the voltages with either a good multi-meter or a proper car electrics tester. I have found that (if the alternator is working) you should get about 14.5 volts at the battery (with the engine running). I am not sure what the voltage would be with the engine off (but somebody will know and post it).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!