I know some folk say an XM's better than the early C5, but

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

I know some folk say an XM's better than the early C5, but

Post by stu9 »

I thought the C5's were ugly (and they are), but ffs they're not a patch on XM's, but then, I know they're an early 90's design, I guess people that bought them didnt care about looks....just as well :mrgreen:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: I know some folk say an XM's better than the early C5, b

Post by Peter.N. »

I thought the same but I am on my last XM now as there are no more of the model I want, it appears, at least not at a sensible price, so I bought a C5, two in fact, although I have sold the 2.2 on the grounds of poor fuel consumption. The C5 does have some advantages, firstly in the main its easier to work on than the XM, secondly the fuel consumption from the 2.0 Hdi engine is brilliant as is the reliability, although the 2.1 manual XM is nearly as good on fuel.

I have been running XMs for over 15 years, in the early days they were so cheap that if anything went seriously wrong you could throw it away and buy another, not so now but you can with C5's, they are very cheap and give excellent value for money.

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The XM with chevron grill is a thing of beauty
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hmmm, having never compared an XM and C5 back-to-back I can't comment but you'd be in danger of comparing apples and pears if you did..

The two cars are very different and I really don't think comparisons would be very relevant. Drive both and see which one makes you smile. That's the best way...
Xac wrote:The XM with chevron grill is a thing of beauty
I quite agree :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Is it
CitroJim wrote:Drive both and see which one makes you smile. That's the best way...
Probably none
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

XM's - brilliant cars in their day, but as Peter says, just try getting one now, you'd be very lucky to turn up a decent one for the right (any) money. If you want a comfortable-mile-eating, roomy, practical motor with massive carrying abilies and self levelling you'd be mad to ignore a C5. Still abundant at good value. Can't see it from the inside anyway :)
2.0 for economy, 2.2 for oomph.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

stu9 wrote:
Is it
CitroJim wrote:Drive both and see which one makes you smile. That's the best way...
Probably none
Arent you bored with this yet Stu? :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Inded, getting hold of a good (or even half-decent) XM now without spending silly money is now very hard. They've quietly crossed the line from languishing at the bargain basement end of bangerdom and are now considered classics with values are rising accordingly.

Also, do bear in mind that the XM is now a very elderly design that makes the Xantia look positively youthful in some quarters.

They remain a fantastic mile muncher and have all the same qualities as the C5 but due to their age and design 'features' they'll need a lot more owner involvement than a C5 might...

As early C5s are now down in the world of bangers they do look like good value...
Monkeyfeet wrote: Can't see it from the inside anyway :)
Good point well made :lol: :lol:
stu9 wrote:
Is it
Probably none
As always, very much a matter of personal taste :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Having looked at the prices I wouldn't say c5s are cheap no. If anything the impression I have since looking for the one I've now got, the prices have shot up.

My 03 c5 110 hdi lx cost 1500 at 55,000 and now even the 2001 models on the site I use are more than this for comparable.

Maybe I look at the wrong place but I noticed second hand prices have rocketed. I read it was because people have turned to second hand due to not being to justify a new car in the current climate.

Maybe I am wrong but what do you think?

Ps. I bought my first C5 based on the look. I guess there's no accounting for taste. Oh jeeze, my wife must be damn ugly. I must simply not see it.

Ugly with ugly. Suppose that makes sense.
C'est pas possible!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ebay is the place to look, I paid £300 and £550 respectively for mine, both taxed and mot'd, they had a few faults but nothing most people on here couldn't sort out. I can't say I really like the look of them but they give the ride comfort and space of the XM, the only thing that does disappoint me is the lack of refinement below 1500 rpm, the 2.1 would pull smoothly from tickover, the Hdi vibrates especially at 1500 rpm, it a little smoother below that, its not just my car because the 406 is exactly the same.

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

stu9 wrote:
Is it
Yes, and the ban hammer will swing for anyone who says different ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
messerschmitt owner
My Cars:

Post by messerschmitt owner »

you can still find cheap tidy XMs - I bought a 2.0TCT estate last year for £250 and it is away to its new owner at £650 and a tidy 2.1TD VSX estate (with manual box) was its replacement at £830.
Image My XMs
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Less available within easy distance of here. This has an effect on prices too.

To be honest I have never thought of buying a car for £250. I assume they are near dead. Obviously wrongly. And being a non mechanical type with no one around to help in person I assume their problems will cost me. Again probably wrongly.
C'est pas possible!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have travelled all over the country in persuit of the right car, although my first C5 I bought in Exeter, nearest one for years. I have not seen any decent 2.1 manual estates round this way since I bought the white one about 4 years ago, its still going but I don't know for how long, its got tin worm.

I ran XM's for over 15 years although I am still very fond of them the C5 is an easier option for me, most parts are quite cheap and easily obtainable. As my cars are to use rather than to cherish I think my XM phase is coming to an end.

Peter
stu9

Post by stu9 »

I had a look at some XM's on the net, what a bloody ugly car, the C5's bad, but them, my god, I remember now seeing them in the early/mid 90's and didnt like them then either. And as the for the inside, it's just the same or worse....but! it's era they came from and I know there was a few like that. I didnt drive back, allways had bikes (motor), but a few mates had them but not these, think one had a Celica, and one had 3000GT now THAT was something....maybe if at the time I didnt drink and sold both bikes, I could have had one

But even if I had the money to buy a car back then, I wouldnt have went near them (XM), no way....but that's just me, everyne's diffirent. The C5 I've got just now is just a car, there's no excitement at all for me, infact the last time I felt excited/good getting into one, was between a mk2 MR2 turbo, Impreza or believe it or not, a bloody Pajero (2.8lwb), I've had alot over the last 4-5years but none that had a the feel good factor as these