advice needed for xm suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

neils xm

advice needed for xm suspension

Post by neils xm »

hi,everyone.
just bought a 96 xm 2.5 td estate while the car is really nice there is a problem with the front suspension,rear seems ok.
a brief history!
a previous owner fitted new spheres(4 off)didn't change the comfort sphere's,changed rear ride height adjuster and the accumulator sphere
so to the problems!!
the front will go to the top(maximum)but won't come back down to the two middle settings,but it will go from the bottom(minimum)up to the normal ride height? when you press on the front(at normal setting) it sinks(read soft)but won't pump itself back up.
also the distribution block(accumulator)clicks repeatedly about every second or so except when lifting or lowering where its silent until it reaches its limits also when i'm raising the car from bottom to top it gets about half way then jolts back down the climbs up to the top(mainly the rear that does this but sometmes the front does it aswell)
the car also as another problem when i brake to a stop you can feel the brakes are not releasing straight away it's got a 2-3 second delay,new disks and pads fitted
also the car has done 165k and i don't get any lights on dash low pressure etc,
any advise/help welcome.
thanx neil
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

First of all, you've got to get under the car on a ramp of grease pit. Check that the control rod that goes from the height adjustment lever beside the gear lever, works as it should. I.e. that both the front and the rear ends actually move back and forth. Next check that the lever arm(s) from the height controller(s) actually move(s) as well - often they get bunged or rusted up, or don't move freely. A good going over with a rust releaser/penetrant usually helps.
If you haven't already got one, get the Haynes book of lies for the XM. It's not very good, but there's nothing better (except Citroën's own W/S manual $$$$) and it describes just this bit reasonably well.
Once you have performed the above checks, you may have fixed your problem (or maybe not) but you should definitely perform them before you start changing expensive things in the hydraulics!
//NiSk