XM heavy steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul Nicholls

XM heavy steering

Post by Paul Nicholls »

Hi all, Paul here - new to list[:)]
I have an XM 1990 2.0i with about 120,000 on it. Old I know, but reliable mostly. My main concern is that I am losing steering pressure sometimes, especially when using the steering a lot combined with braking, in a car park for example . The pressure regulator or is it the FDV is going about every 5-8 seconds. I have replaced the following parts of late. Brake valve(dosseur), steering ram, all spheres, rebuild kit in the FDV, run hydroflush for 3000 miles and put in new fluid.
So is it going to cost me loads more or will I be lucky? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Paul Nicholls
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Paul,
Have you changed the accumualtor sphere? That is the first port of call for fast clicking. Given you have already rebuilt the FDV, but are still having PAS problems you are going to have to think along the lines of HP pump or pinion valve. Given the simplicity of the pinion valve vs the moving parts / complexity of the pump, I would suspect the pump next...
Richard
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Paul,
I had a CX showing similar symptoms to your XM. As you may know, the CX has the diravi steering which is a very hydraulically hungry system. In shopping centre car parks, it would be as heavy as lead. It also took ages for the car to pump up & a very short time for it to sit down. I initially thought spheres particularly accumulator but after changing, no difference. I eventually bit thr bullet & fitted a younger pump. The difference was immediate; pumps up quick, light steering and takes ages to settle, so my suggestion would be to opt for a known good pump a recon pump (Pleiades I think do one) or a new one as I think that could be your problem.
Pinion steering system problem is usually recognised by getting heavy when turning right but mot so much if at all left.
http://www.pleiades.uk.com/products_10.html
Alan S
first-things-first

Post by first-things-first »

Hi Paul
Recently had the same issue with my XM (admittedly S2 XM 2.5 TD - 95 - 159K). The steering was heavy (lack of assistance when at idle and trying to move the steering about 1/2 turn off center either way). Did the hydroflush thing. No change. Changed the pump. What a difference. The steering is now lighter at speed (felt too heavy before) and now much lighter at idle - lock to lock with engine idling no problem 9 times out of 10 (although not perfect - there may be a regulator fault on mine. You can understand some issue when the rest of the car has aged as well). Remember my one does not have the FDV.
Pleiades did mine - £125 + VAT (2 year warranty if accumulator changed). Plus one hour labour at £35 + VAT. Reasonable considering others charge you that for the pump alone. They pressure test before doing the job and found my pump to be 15 bar down.
Cheers
Andrew
Paul Nicholls

Post by Paul Nicholls »

Thanks all for the input.
I am now going to show my ignorance. I have changed the accumulator sphere as well as all the rest recently. If the regulator is ticking frequently, does that mean the pump is OK and is keeping up but has to cut in a lot to compensate for the pressure loss elsewhere, or is it that the pressure regulator is cutting off too soon? The car rises within 20 seconds of starting in the morning is this any help? Not being up to speed on how the fluid is directed, does the steering get the fluid before the pressure regulator? Or could it still be the a worn FDV as the kit does not solve any internal leak-by fault as I see it.
Cheers
Paul
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes - on the early production (pre '95) XM's - the pressure from the pump is first available to the servo - before it reaches the regulator & accumulator sphere.
The servo does not have any accumulator - i.e. it charges instantly from engine start. Therefore also takes priority during drive - since a well functioning system will have more than adequate spare pressure from the accumulator sphere for the brakes and any minor height correction needed.