xantia airbag reset light?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ianscar

xantia airbag reset light?

Post by ianscar »

removed both airbags to fix heater matrix on series 2 xantia petrol.
Now i can't get the sevice light for the airbag to stop flashing. Everything is wired back as it was.
Any help appreciated
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: xantia airbag reset light?

Post by VertVega »

Airbag light is seen when the car is started and the ECU makes a system check.
If the light is there flashing/ON then it means that the system response in not healthy.

Did you check the connectors under the front seats? Orange wires going to the seat belt
pretension connector became loose. Unplug the connectors under the seats and plug again.
Secure the connectors with a cable tier.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ian, when you did the matrix you'd have had the steering wheel off. When you replaced it did you carefully centre and align the rotary connector that conveys airbag, horn and radio controls? Chances are that if you didn't the rotary is now damaged. The airbag signals are seemingly the first to suffer when the rotary becomes damaged.

If that's not the case a quick session on a Lexia will soon nail it down. I'm sure there's a member local to you with one. In the supersticky area of this forum you'll find a list of members offering Lexia diagnostics...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Like above, if you don't have access to a Lexia (which will tell you which circuit the fault lies on, in short it considers each explosive device and its wiring a circuit) first port of call is the orange connectors under the seats as they're easier. No doubt you would have moved the seats back when getting the dash out so maybe sticking them right back might have upset them. They can appear to be connected fine but not have a proper electrical connection. Unplug the battery, wait 20-30 mins for everything to discharge (don't want airbags and things to start firing off)

Unplug the orange connectors under the seats and give the outside fitting metal bits of the connector a squeeze so there is a better connection/less resistance then plug them back in. Might be worth doing the same with the similar looking passenger and drivers airbag connectors just because.

Connect the battery back up and see if the light flashes. If it still does then the next stage is the swirly whirly connector behind the steering wheel. In my experience these are sensitive beasts. There doesn't necessarily have to be anything visually wrong or a break in continuity for them to be written off. Maybe a hairline crack or something makes it intermittent or increases resistance enough for the airbag ECU to kick up. The only real way to rule this in or out is a Lexia or by replacement with a known working one.

I ended up going around the scrapyards picking some up when I had that problem on both my Xantia and XM. The connectors are fitted to a few PSA vehicles though depending on the age of your S2 Xantia the radio connector on the dash side can be different. I posted up a list with photos back along, I'll see if I can find it.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Here's the post. You'll need to scroll down a touch to get the photos.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
ianscar

Post by ianscar »

finally fixed, turns out it was the key switch for turning off the passenger airbag (which was still disconnected as the centre console hadn't been refitted yet.)

Put the key swith back in and all is well.

Many thanks for all the replies, :-D heart was in my mouth as i thought it was a case of dismantling everything again. #-o
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Ah, I didn't realise there was a key switch on S2 Xantias! My XM has dual airbags and doesn't have a switch. That's what threw me, will have to remember that.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote:Ah, I didn't realise there was a key switch on S2 Xantias! My XM has dual airbags and doesn't have a switch. That's what threw me, will have to remember that.
Nor does my very early S2 Xantia either Kev... It came later on the Xantia. S or T plate I believe, along with Trafficmaster. It never came on the XM even though they had side airbags before the Xantia...

Ian, that's a good one to remember for the future :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

red_dwarfers wrote:Ah, I didn't realise there was a key switch on S2 Xantias!
Mine didn't have a key switch neither a passenger airbag but only one airbag for the driver :)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual