Its getting on my nerves. what gets your goat ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

puddle jumper
My Cars:

Its getting on my nerves. what gets your goat ?

Post by puddle jumper »

This is one of those stupid things that gets you about a car every time you walk by it. My 95 Xantia TD is a teriffic car (as was my BX before it). It's old but I love it. However every time I walk back to it across a car park all I can see is those stupid surrounds on the front fog lights that don't sit back tight on the lights they stand off them just enough to annoy you. Saw some on another Xantia the other day exactly the same. May be it's just one of those Citroen Things but the car is so good I find the smallest things extra annoying. How about you lot and has anyone got a simple fix for it?.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The surrounds are held in place by the fog lamps themselves. If I remember correctly, you need to remove the fog lamps by pulling the surround forward then using a screwdriver to push in a clip on the side. Then for refitting you need to locate the suround onto a lug on the fog lamp and push the whole assembly in. I think that there is a 'lever action' on a arm on the fog light which retains the surround. A little bit fiddly but quite achievable!!
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I have just changed my nearside fog light. 40 quid from "Outfit" in******** near where I work.
If you take your foglights out you can clean up the lever assembly and then refit them correctly. they should be flush and not stand off.
Haynes manual isn't bad for this job. You indeed haveto pull the surround forward to remove a light assembly. There is a locking action between surround forward and pushed back in. But if there is corrosion on the lever mechanism it might resist being pushed back. i suggest taking the lights all the way out... cleaning and WD40'ing and then gently refit and all should be well.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hey.... I typed... "Euro car parts" and it came up as "Outfit" in******** what happened... or is it just a sin to mention a little competition... What a larf Ha Ha
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Kev,
Just so that you're in the loop as to why this happens;
this board exists as a service to anyone, but is attached to a website hosted by GSF which is why most owners find it with ease due to that association.
It goes without saying that whilst it operates totally independent of GSF/Andyspares these days, the Administrators are employed by the aforesaid company and as such feel obligated to do the right thing and to prevent blatant advertising by opposition companies as has unfortunately happened in the past.
Certain independent parts suppliers, non brand specific as well as people reconditioning parts are freely discussed and recommended without problems; Pleiades being one that immediately comes to mind, but they play the game & are happy to accept any business that is referred from here and if it doesn't happen, then they accept that also.
The degree of problems we've had over the years from some however, few if any board users would be fully aware of which is why we have a number of moderators who are on-line at various times & who delete some of the rubbish that most users never get to see.
I'm in Australia, so I come on about 8.30pm your time and stay in touch until about noon your time, then restart about 9pm onwards and the balance of the 24 hours the other moderators take over.
We don't post on any other companys boards or forums and we don't expect nor invite them to do this on ours. This way, if all names likely to create problems are blocked in this manner, this reciprocal arrangement works fine. In most cases, submitters twig what's going on & just delete the post, however some don't and question it which they are entitled to do, but regardless, it's a policy that has been put in place for very good reasons which I won't detail here, and has been successful.
I am not employed nor connected with GSF/Andyspares either directly or indirectly hence I have no axe to grind, but I feel that these kinds of policies that have been established based on past experiences are the reason most claim this forum continues to be one of the most successful of its kind.
Hope that clarifies it for you.
Alan S
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks Alan,
I certainly enjoy this forum. So, I'm keen to comply.
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Car parts place N London
Just Testing
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

Hey Lighten up ! This was supposed to be a light hearted pop at those stupud things that annoy us all - I can't believe that you lot dont have anything about your cars that don't annoy you - Here's another of mine - why is it that when you open the hatch on the Xantia more water than it is possible to get on the tailgate ends up in your boot ? by the way Kev, I spent £20 at the local spiffle yard and got 2 mint spotlights and 2 rear door cards with speaker mountings thrown in !!! you know what they say " if its broke - Rob it of any bits that are any good ".
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

For spiffle read scráp, why cant i say scráp on here?
Jon

Post by Jon »

thats a bloody good point, in fact "cr-p" is in the banned words list too. Maybe I'll take that one out. I can live with that one. Hence "sra_p" becomes piffle. That ones a bit over the top.
Now what happens when I write you **** etc etc..............
[}:)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

OK it is now officially OK to write Scrap, or indeed crap for that matter.
But not Car parts place N London
I only did this initially as I discovered that if you typed "Andyspares" in the Car parts place N London Forum it changed to "Muppets". I think that Alan's post was to the point and have no more to add on that subject.
[^]
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

It's a good job my wife is an moderator on another site or I would not have been able to type spiffle !!!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Getting back to the point about what gets my goat, it was the stupid parcel shelf cords on my ZX that refused to retract when I closed the boot, and hung over the rear lights. So I cut them off with a Stanley knife and lift the parcel shelf up manually. That taught 'em.
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

I restrung my Xantia one with the wife's knicker elastic - the parcel shelf works ok now but the wife is frightened to move in public.....
Jon

Post by Jon »

oooooohhh errrrr etc etc