Coolant flush, opinions?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

Coolant flush, opinions?

Post by Chlorate »

I've noticed that the coolant in my Xant is a somewhat nasty rusty colour, starting to wonder how much antifreeze has been used in its past and indeed when the last time the coolant was changed.

So on top of dropping the coolant out and refilling with new stuff, is there much merit to flushing the coolant system?
One thought would be to change the coolant, drive around for a few hundred miles then change it again, but that requires effort and lots of expensive antifreeze...
I do notice that there are coolant flushing products out there, I assume they're intended to be used by filling the system with water, adding the stuff, dumping it out again and refilling with glycol. But I'm always skeptical about these things (the term "snake oil" usually comes to mind), anyone got any experience with them?

One other thing, I've noticed that the coolant temperature gauge in my car creeping around a bit more than I'd like; it usually sits around the 75 degree mark rather solidly, but lately it's creeping up around 80-85 when I'm pushing it (say climbing a hill or accelerating up to 70). It never actually gets to the 90 mark and settles back down again to normal temperature when back to a constant speed/flat gradient and my oil temperature is fine. This could well be me noticing something for the first time and paying attention to it, but I really don't fancy doing a head gasket somewhere down the line.
The radiator looks nearly new and the pipes leading to it are in good shape but It does lose coolant very slowly - about a litre over a couple of thousand miles, can't tell where from but a minor water leak was mentioned in my recent MOT advisories.

Any thoughts?

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Coolant flush, opinions?

Post by myglaren »

I'd be inclined to use the Forte Cooling System Flush and on refilling Forte Cooling System Sealer.
And have.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If you put red / orange antifreeze in it does end up looking a bit rusty. As long as you are topping up with diluted antifreeze it will change itself eventually!

If it runs at 75 then the stat is goosed - it should run at 90. Temp probably rising now when you are working it, as the ambient temp has come up a bit. I've got a new stat to put in mine - but other repairs on it are getting in the way at the moment :evil:
Richard W
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I did wonder if the 'stat was sticky, fair enough I'll swap that at the same time as a coolant change. I should imagine it's probably the same one installed back in 1998!
First warm couple of days in nigh on 6 months, I actually turned my AC on today to see if it still worked (needs topping up...)

Will have a butchers at forte coolant stuff too, the forum seems to swear by it.

Thanks all,
Alex

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

myglaren wrote:I'd be inclined to use the Forte Cooling System Flush and on refilling Forte Cooling System Sealer.
And have.
Yep, seconded :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is, unless it has an auto-box. That would cause some problems for its' cooling system. I remember a post some months back when cooling sealant was mentioned, and CitroJim pointed out the dis-advantages re auto-boxes.

EDIT - found post; http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 10 Apr 2013, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I do recall reading that somewhere actually.

But no slush box here, so no troubles :D

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Chlorate wrote:I do recall reading that somewhere actually.

But no slush box here, so no troubles :D
Forte Rad. Stop Leak is fine and will not cause the damage which other sealers can (K-Seal for example). I'm pretty sure Jim uses Forte. I certainly do, as a preventative measure rather than anything else.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I used K-Seal once before on my ZX, weird stuff that was apparently full of fine copper powder or something - didn't help and I'm sure it did more harm than good.

Out of interest, how does Forte work? I notice it's considerably more expensive than K-Seal or Radweld or the like.

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP