Xantia hdi a warning and some advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Xantia hdi a warning and some advice please

Post by isisalar »

WARNING- it is very easy to snap the fuel pipe connectors on top of the filter housing if it's lent on whilst working on the engine.
I did this whilst replacing the injector fire washers and seals Sunday. Did a temporary repair and went on a test drive, after which it became aparant that one of the injectors wasn't seated properly and was making a noise like a blown exhaust. Tightened it up and now is fine. The engine went into limp mode and the eml light came on during the test drive and the car since would run for a mile or two, die, and then restart immediately on the starter. It also ran on for a second or two after switching off.
I've just fitted a new lid and pipework and the eml light is still on.
Any advice as to how to proceed will be very welcome.
Really pi***d off.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia hdi a warning and some advice please

Post by RichardW »

Has the fault cleared, and does it run normally now? If so, then the EML will probably go out after a few starts. If it is still having running problems, then needs to talk a Lexia, but I imagine it will be reporting fault on low fuel pressure - could be the regulator, pump, or leaking injector.... :?
Richard W
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Lexia to id the fault.

It *may* go out after several re-starts. Note this is not on / off a few times, it has to be driven for each 'time' for it to do that. My 106 did the same the light would not go out after several on / off starts but after a couple of days ie several journeys it decided the fault was not there anymore (it was not) and put the light out.

The code will be kept though I think just that the light should if you're lucky go out by itself eventually after say ten journey's (should that be journies?)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Never lean on anything plastic under a bonnet.. they will always be brittle!

I also agree.. If she is running fine, but the light is on, it will go out after a while. Dont just sit there with it idleing waiting. Use the car as normal and it should go out eventually..

Ultimatley though, a session with a lexia will be needed to clear all stored faults out of the ECU..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks for the reply's guys, nicely re assuring and indeed the eml has now gone out after a few journeys. I did have a whistle/whine from the engine over 2000rpm which has now virtually gone so was obviously caused by the leaking injector. There is still a very very slight whistle/whine so I'm thinking that perhaps there's still a bit more tightening needed. As the nuts were copper I was a bit wary of overtightening them. Is there a torque setting for these nuts, and should they be tightened with the engine hot or cold?
I'm now looking forward at last to enjoying the economy I was expecting, and of course the performance which has also improved greatly.
One last question chaps, would running with the injector leaking as it was, for the three months I've had the car have de- graded the oil?
Off on a speed awareness course this afternoon, must keep a good lookout for cameras on the way.
Thanks again for all the help.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

Haha yea I broke mine...its still broke but I was changing fuel filter and I slipped an snapped it....it was too late to get another so I tried some superglue and used my soldering iron which luckly I had on me and melted The outside of The break together....still like it now and done thousands of miles! Also I would recomend an exhaust repair kit on board it ur top hose ever goes it sorted a huge hole in my top hose after The aux belt snapped
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr