off on a road trip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

off on a road trip

Post by jgra1 »

all, hoping to drive to northern Croatia in just over a week's time..

There isn't much I can do with the C5 (hdi 110) before then, save an oil/filter change.. it had a FSH but the last service was about 100K (car also had a bottom pulley, cambelt, cambelt sprokect then.)

I got the car at about 112K and it's now around 120k, so it really needs the oil..

There is a creak from Offside, suspect a dry CV joint.. will investigate that before I travel.. and silicon spray the bushes there too..

If the car does go wrong, recovery wont be bringing it back as it's not worth the cost.
apart from a lexia - which I dont have - is there one really useful spare I could take ? something maybe I could get from a scapper that would cost a fortune in Europe..

if anyone has advice on Austria or Slovenia and tolls etc, or a nice route south from Munich - that would be appreciated..

John
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I wouldn't travel without a spare BSM.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: off on a road trip

Post by Old-Guy »

I haven't been to Slovenia or Croatia since 2000, but many of the locals used to drive furiously, trusting to crucifixes, divine intervention, Karma, or whatever to save them even when using both sides of the road going round a blind bend flat out. The road system was pretty good with excellent surfaces (slippery when wet) and up on the inland plateaux fairly straight. The dangerous roads are those that drop down through the coastal mountain ranges to the sea; despite the dramatic scenery, best avoided as much as possible especially at the week-ends. Croatian Police and Customs Officers take themselves very seriously. There was no love lost between the Slovenes and Croats; ancient enmities were revived during the break-up of Yugoslavia. I doubt much has changed in any of these respects.

Ljubljana is a lovely old capital city about the size of Oxford or Cambridge, well worth a few hours.

In the late 90's, the Germans were welcome for the hard currency they brought and the Croatian coast is as close as and (was) much cheaper than the Italian. There was much genuine affection, especially amongst the older generation, for the British in Slovenia but sterling was hard to exchange in both Slovenia and Croatia while Deutchmarks and later Euros were welcome everywhere (with a better exchange rate than the banks). Now, with a wobbly Euro....
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Careful with Austrian borders, having gotten used to open borders and abandoned border security buildings while country hopping over the new year just gone, I almost drove straight through the Liechtenstein/Austrian border without stopping :shock: I was surprised I only had a stern look and a thorough check of documents. A car full of English men driving a muddy Xantia at 1am on a Monday morning wanting to get shifting to catch the Chunnel later that day, can't have looked too good.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hmm thanks all

Kev, I need a vignette for there and slovenia I think,,.
also,
annnoyingly the car insurance runs out half way through the trip..

Old guy, thanks for that.. will be staying on Pula, but only 100km from that town, will be a good day or afternoon trip :)
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

jgra1 wrote: vignette
That's a word which has passed me by :oops: What does it mean in this context?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

i probably spelt it wrong lol

it's a kind of pass for your vehicle to be allowed into the country I think ?

I take it you didn't have one ;) ? did you go through Slovenia >?
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

John

This is Plitvice National Park in Croatia. It is however 351km and 4 Hours away from Pula. It is a World Heritage site and if you like a drop of scenery looks pretty good to me

regards

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Did you mean a Visa John?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Off an a road trip - that sounds very familiar with me :) I have done several of them and my Xantia never let me down =D> 8-) (longest trip 11K km). I usually take 3 l of LHM but I never had to use it.

In Austria remember to buy "vignette" (road tax) sticker after the border line. You must stick to the area instructed in the windshield. There are automatic camera inspections on the motorway. Try to obey the speed limits. Especially in the entrance of tunnels AND tunnel EXITS since there are cameras that can take photos from rear. Some long tunnels have their own payment tolls. If you drive from Lichtenstein to Innsbruck there is a very long road tunnel Aarlberg of 15 km. IT IS FUN!

In South Germany I would recommend the fantastic Neuschwanstein Castle (check Google pics) which is not far away from Munich.

In Slovenia remember vignette. Traffic is not at all bad in Central Europe. May be I underestimate it since I have been driving in Russia :) From Austria to Slovenia there are shorter tunnels also. For example Karawanken road tunnel is only about 8 km. Enjoy the lovely Alps view. I hope the there'll be sun shining, otherwise clouds are covering the scenery.
Last edited by VertVega on 10 Apr 2013, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

In most cases vignettes are only required for motorways but they are in use in quite a few European countries and don't forget the Maut system in Germany. They can usually be obtained at border crossings, petrol stations etc and you can order them online now.

This will give you some idea but don't take it as gospel.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

many thanks all, .. eddie will look at that link shortly
Newcastle! stunning pic :) I think I saw that place earlier on a map..

I have a brace of drivers, so maybe that could be a good day out..
hope weather is ok.. fingers crossed 20C ..
;)
John
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

If you're driving via the centre of Munich then you'll need a Low Emissions Zone sticker in your car as Munich has joined the growing bunch of German cities that require these..... for Munich: "From 1st October 2012 onwards Diesel Euro 4(PM), Petrol Euro 1 / Green Sticker. Vehicles affected: All diesel vehicles, and petrol vehicles without a closed loop catalytic converter (Euro 1 or equivalent). All vehicles must have a sticker" .
More info on the Munich boundary can be found here:
http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/countrie ... 61/munchen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And details of how to get a sticker can be found here:
http://www.tuev-nord.de/de/umweltplaket ... e_8648.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

....although my mate who lives over there merely visited his local main dealer and asked them for a sticker for my C5 and they gave him one which he duly sent over to me :-)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Bobins ;)

good road you are on btw.... A272

I wanted to go to Munich, I had a vision of some old world german city, with beer halls and jugs ;).. but I am steering well clear now, I have been told it is nothing special and I don't have time for city traffic..

sorry all, this was a post about whether my c5 had a chance of making it.. or what i could do when it goes wrong lol.. but it's a little awry now
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I had a great time in Munich*, beer halls, monasteries turned restaurant with copious amounts of excellent wine etc.

*So I'm told :)

Also the rather spectacular "restaurant alt köln am dom"

Was a few years ago though.