Help, Xantia like blamange 30 secs after sphere change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trooper30
My Cars:

Help, Xantia like blamange 30 secs after sphere change

Post by trooper30 »

Well eventually i got round to the rear spheres today as the old ones were pretty hard. Job went fine, no probs, spheres came of with zero hassle, new seales lubed and seated, new spheres seated nicely. Starts up the car and citrobics work in every position. Then set it to normal drive height, get it out on the road! SCARED ME OUT MY SKIN!
Firs time i braked the back end lifted on its own to full height, ass right in the air, when i went to pull away the ass end thudded as it his the suspension stop right at the bottom and on braking as right in the air! Was like the back end was on a well lubed hinge bouncing up and down, and making the car very scary to control. Limped back to the house, got out the car, and the rear is soooooo soft i can push it to the suspension stop with zero effort, and bounce it up and down like a ball!

Little vid here, so you can imagine how scary it was to drive! This is at normal ride height!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sooooooo need some quick opinions fellas! The wife got the hump as she couldn't get to work already, im in the dog house again! So is it something ive done, something i haven't done? Any ideas welcome fellas :roll:
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Help, Xantia like blamange 30 secs after sphere change

Post by RichardW »

Impressive!

What spheres have you fitted - I suspect they are accumulators or something, as they appear to have little or no damping. Air in the system may also not be helping - some more citerobics, but I suspect wrong spheres.
Richard W
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Nice vid -thousand words and all that!
It's obviously up-to pressure 'cos of the height. The new sphere's - they are most definitely the rights ones aren't they? It's just as if the drillings are too big for your model?????
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

Its an HDi Forte, 6 sphere setup, just looked on the side of the box from the ones i just fitted and it reads 'Suspension Regulator Sphere Xantia' I guess that mean they have sent, and I have fitted the wrong spheres if my thinking i right and the Regularor sphere is the one front middle? :roll:
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

trooper30 wrote:Its an HDi Forte, 6 sphere setup, just looked on the side of the box from the ones i just fitted and it reads 'Suspension Regulator Sphere Xantia' I guess that mean they have sent, and I have fitted the wrong spheres if my thinking i right and the Regularor sphere is the one front middle? :roll:
There's your problem right there... "suspension regulator sphere" will be one of the hydractive regulator spheres that are designed to go on a hydractive model on the hydractive control block. 50 bars for rear or 70/75 bars for the front.

These spheres have NO damper valve at all, so you will have NO damping whatsoever at the back. :shock: Very dangerous, don't drive it like that, even just down the road...

On an actual Hydractive car there are two damper valves inside the control block that the sphere screws on to which is why the sphere itself doesn't have a damper valve. It's basically the same as an accumulator sphere but at a slightly different pressure.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

Popped down to GSF, got the right spheres, wax on, wax off and all sorted out! It has the hadnling of a slightly bouncy ballon full of water now, which is an improvement on an unhinged back end or a hard spring which it was before, so i recon I will do the fronts at the weekend see it that smooths it all out. Thats now 3 times recently when I have ordered the right part online, and the wrong ones turned up! In saying that I should have read the box before I nailed them on :oops:

Oh and contributed a video on what not to do! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hmm, it still shouldn't handle like a "bouncy balloon full of water" :?

Were the spheres 30 bars or 40 ? Hatchbacks use 30 for the rear while estates use 40. If you put 40 bar spheres on a hatchback the ride will be too soft and wallowy.... Not dangerously so but enough to make you think something is wrong...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive