1.9TD XANTIA WON'T START HELP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XANTIA-MAD-MAN

1.9TD XANTIA WON'T START HELP

Post by XANTIA-MAD-MAN »

Hi my 1.9TD SX Xantia is being a bit of a pain it wont start I've checked the glow plugs with a set from another car I know works and there seems to be fuel I've even checked the stop solenoid and all seems well but she just won't start.

She seems to turnover fine and before you ask I have already tested to see if power is getting to the plugs has anyone got any ideas as this could be the end of a good car if I can't sort her.
p. s it is a 1995 TD with the bosch pump but she hasn't been started for months
thanks
Jay
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

" but she hasn't been started for months "
Guess that's the bottom line problem - you don't get fuel - even if you think you do.
There is a manual fuel pump priming button at or near the fuel filter housing. This must be operared untill the button gets hard.
You should also be aware that old diesel fuel may be a problem in itself - and that water is likely to collect in the fuel tank.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not used for 5 months and now it won't start, or not used becuase it won't start?
If the former, then charge battery (or fit new), switch ignition on, pump the fuel primer to be found over the RH engine mount until it get firmer, now try starting. Get someone to look at the exhaust while cranking - any smoke? (white or grey means unburnt fuel - eg not enough heating, nothing means no fuel). You need quite a good cranking speed to start one of these lumps - I assume it sounds like it's turning over at a reasonable speed?
If the latter - did it decline gradually, or just stop one day? Is the cambelt still intact? Have you done a compression test?
Heresy I know, but have you tried 'Easy-start' or similar?
Plenty to go at yet - give us a bit more info and we'll see if we can narrow it down!
Richard
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

If it were anything but a citroen, I'd roll it down a hill and drop the clutch ;-)
Because it's a citroen, this is a BAD idea !
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If it hasn't been started for a very long time it could need bleeding as far as the injectors.
Prime the pump by hand then loosen the injector unions and crank the engine untill fuel appears at at least three injectors.
If you have trouble getting fuel to the injectors, try loosening the timing hole blanking bolt at the centre of the pipe outlets on the back of the pump, this cause any trapped air to be forced from the high pressure cylinder.
Depending on the quality of the fuel at the time of being laid up, the interior workings of the pump could have gone rusty, probably not bad enough to prevent starting, but can easily be bad enough to damage the pump in a short space of time.
Dave
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Try using a wire to power the stop solenoid, I think you may find it may just be that, that is your problem.
Paul
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I would definitely replace the fuel filter, and clean the housing as well, you never know what's growing in there, ready to cause problems.
Jaxs
My Cars:

Post by Jaxs »

Try connecting a test light to the glow plugs, make sure the relay and timer is working.
BigMac

Post by BigMac »

I agree with RichardW: start with the simples - fit a new (or replacement good) battery and see what happens.