Xantia HDi (2000) Steering Rack (query)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Duke137

Xantia HDi (2000) Steering Rack (query)

Post by Duke137 »

Hi Folks

Just done a quick search of the forum but I haven't seen what I am looking for so thought it best to ask you experts directly...

Steering racks, are they all the same across the Xantia range?

Reason I ask is that my Rack knocks/clunks and is heavy. It isn't the UJ or the tie rods and I think it is the rack itself. I am just going to replace it (as soon as I get time) with a recon or a cheap enough new one. I can't be bothered to mess about with diagnosing 'it may be this or that' and just replace the lot.

The car is still going strong, I have spent a fair bit of money tinkering the mechanical imperfections and it would appear that the rack and the front section of 'zaust would just about (touch wood) sort all the major bits and leave me with some minor inconvenience problems that are not urgent.

Thanks in advance, so far this forum has been a useful asset to me.

Cheers
Duke137

Re: Xantia HDi (2000) Steering Rack (query)

Post by Duke137 »

Bump, anyone?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There are 3 racks:

V6
2.1 TD / HDi 110 / 2.0T
Everything else

So depending on whether yours is a 110 or 90 HDi will determine the choice of rack. Getting it out is interesting - you may need to drop the subframe at the OS, or remove the pinion valve in order to get it out.
Richard W
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

RichardW wrote:There are 3 racks:

V6
2.1 TD / HDi 110 / 2.0T
Everything else

So depending on whether yours is a 110 or 90 HDi will determine the choice of rack. Getting it out is interesting - you may need to drop the subframe at the OS, or remove the pinion valve in order to get it out.
Thanks for the info that is what I need to know. I don't plan on doing this work myself I will book it in with my mechanic mate to do it for a bit of 'bangers and mash', I just don't have the time and I am going through a period of just paying someone else to do joyous tasks such as this, it's much easier handing over some folding :)