2001 C5 in constant Eco mode

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paulcornwall

2001 C5 in constant Eco mode

Post by paulcornwall »

Since I bought my family bus a few weeks ago the car refuses to come out of Eco mode, battery and alternator is fine. have tested both with an volt meter and all readings seem fine. Also tried a brand new battery, still in eco mode from start up. Anyone have any ideas?
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: 2001 C5 in constant Eco mode

Post by qprdude »

Didn't know the phase 1 had an eco mode, but do you mean with the engine off?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
paulcornwall

Post by paulcornwall »

Yes, definitely Eco mode. Is in a constant state of Eco mode, as a result - stereo turns off with engine and no indicator flashes during lock and unlock, anyone help?
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Couldn't say then Paul. I know the phase 2 (new shape) is supposed to give you twice the time the engine has been running, up to a maximum of 30 minutes before eco kicks in. Someone said that the earlier cars, "eco" was battery reliant, but if your battery checks out OK then . Maybe you need to do a BSI reset. There are instructions on the forum somewhere. Do a search for BSI, then see if it helps.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yes, I'd do a BSI reset first - observe the precautions for removing the battery (which may be cause of the fault in the first place). If this doesn't fix it, then you will need to get it on a Lexia and see what's going on. Not sure if there is anyone near you who has one though....
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The condition of the battery has nothing to do with eco mode on mk1 & mk2 C5's.
You will really need Lexia for this one, sounds like the car is in factory or showroom mode instead of customer mode. 5 minutes on a lexia to change the configuration of the BSI should sort it out.
Most likely the result of either a not allowing the car to power down correctly before disconecting the battery or the BSI has been replaced in the past & not configured correctly.
You have nothing to loose in trying the BSI reset procedure as long as you do it correctly but i would imagine replacing the battery would have done the trick when you replaced it.
paulcornwall

Post by paulcornwall »

Well to conclude...with the help of easydiagnostics I've managed to get the car out of eco mode, it was in factory mode for some reason. Lets hope it wasn't in factory mode because of some battery drainage issue or alike. Very happy at the moment as I can now listen to the radio with the engine off, plus the interior lights work and I get flashing indicator when I lock and unlock the car!!